direct sync between MacDive and en.divelogs.de

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
bundeskater
Dive Computer: Nemo Wide

direct sync between MacDive and en.divelogs.de

Post by bundeskater »

With the Windows software Diving log it is possible to sync directly (both ways) with en.divelogs.de.

Would be a great feature if this will be possible with MacDive, too.

Thanks

Marcel
henrik
Dive Computer: Petrel + Predator

Re: direct sync between MacDive and en.divelogs.de

Post by henrik »

I agree, and I asked the author about it. Here's his answer:
At 03.10.11 15:49, Rainer Mohr wrote:
> Hi Henrik,
>
> You could ask the makers of MacDive if they want to offer an integration to divelogs. They can contact me anytime about details, I wrote them a while back but got no answer.
>
> Kind regards,
> Rainer
Is there any way I could help developing sync with divelogs.de? It's my favourite online logging tool, and they already have MacDive xml import in place.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Unfortunately two-way syncing requires a significant investment of time, and currently people are asking for syncing to android, syncing to this site, syncing to other sites, and syncing to other apps. The syncing to Dive Log alone is, quite literally, thousands of lines of code - it's not a quick afternoon hack to get this stuff working nicely.

So I will look in to the various sites and apps people have been asking for, but I can't promise I will get you anything usable anytime soon. I have a lot of other features that are being requested right now, many things to polish up, and Dark Souls comes out on Thursday :)
henrik

Post by henrik »

nick wrote:Unfortunately two-way syncing requires a significant investment of time, and currently people are asking for syncing to android, syncing to this site, syncing to other sites, and syncing to other apps. The syncing to Dive Log alone is, quite literally, thousands of lines of code - it's not a quick afternoon hack to get this stuff working nicely.

So I will look in to the various sites and apps people have been asking for, but I can't promise I will get you anything usable anytime soon. I have a lot of other features that are being requested right now, many things to polish up, and Dark Souls comes out on Thursday :)
Thanks for answering my gazillion sync requests. :) I understand that there's a lot of work behind sync features.

I'd put en.divelogs.de first on the priority list, since it's a nice full featured site with a lot of members. They already have Diving Log two-way syncing in place, which would make the implementation easier to complete.

Android syncing would be a good number two, I think.
divelogs.de

Post by divelogs.de »

Hi Nick,

I'm the guy behind divelogs.de, just got a link to this thread, so I thought I'd say hi :-)

Two way syncs are possible but not necessary, we could start with an upload to divelogs.de first, that's how we did it with Diving Log 5.0 and added the other way later.

All there is to it (yeah sounds easy, but I agree, its still lot of code) is putting every dives data in an xml format, packing the xml files in a ZIP and POSTing it to a dedicated page along with username and password.

The other direction is the same, you just get the ZIP with the xml files (one dive per xml-file) after posting username and password to a dedicated page.

Let me know if and when you are interested and I'll send you all the information you need.

Kind regards,
Rainer
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Apologies for the terribly late response -

Sure, drop me an email with the info and I'll take a look. I should be able to get something at least exporting to your format and uploading pretty quick.
yomar
Dive Computer: Suunto Vyper

Post by yomar »

This is great! I'll definitely be looking forward to this.

Thanks to nick and divelogs.de for their efforts in creating their respective program/site and for always trying their best to address their customers' requests.

Keep it up guys!
yomar
Dive Computer: Suunto Vyper

Post by yomar »

Wait a minute, I visited en.divelogs.de and it appears that it's already possible to upload dives from mac-dive via xml import. I created an account and uploaded my dives. It's already up and running.

Now, I have my log on my macbook pro, iphone and online! There's nothing more I can ask for.

Thanks guys!!
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

That's how you can do it currently, but I would like to build in a way to have this happen from within MacDive itself to make the process easier :)
henrik

Post by henrik »

nick wrote:That's how you can do it currently, but I would like to build in a way to have this happen from within MacDive itself to make the process easier :)
That's nice to hear :)

Did you get the data from Rainer?