For iOS sync to DiveLog: don't leave the "Diver" field blank

Problems ? Get help here!
altaskier
Dive Computer: Suunto Cobra3

For iOS sync to DiveLog: don't leave the "Diver" field blank

Post by altaskier »

Thanks, Nick, for the neat iOS sync capabilities! I was able to use MacDive 2.0.5 to sync with my iPhone (running iOS 4.3.1) with DiveLog.app version 1.5, and it all worked with no problems. However, when I tried to sync with my iPad (also running iOS 4.3.1 and DiveLog.app version 1.5), MacDive would hang at the point of "Creating new database" showing along the bottom bar. (Well, the MacDive program would not hang in that you could go to All Dives for example, but the iOS synchronization would never get beyond "Creating new database").

After some playing around, I was able to find that dives from all countries except the USA were synchronizing just fine. I then looked at what was different about my USA versus non-USA MacDive entries. The easiest thing I could spot was that I had a lot of USA entries from before when I had a dive computer, and they had the "Diver" field in the "General" tab blank. When I filled my name into the Diver field for all my dives, lo and behold I was able to do the iOS sync.

Could it be that the iPhone DiveLog database doesn't need the "Diver" field information, while the iPad database does need something for that field?

In any case, when creating a new iOS database you might check that MacDive is able to know what to do if the "Diver" field is blank, so that it can create a iOS database successfully even if no "Diver" information is present.

Thanks again for MacDive!
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: For iOS sync to DiveLog: don't leave the "Diver" field b

Post by nick »

Ah, good spot.

I have patched this for the next version. I may replace 2.0.5 with a patched version to include this fix later though.