Support for Multiple Logs

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
Icemn2003
Dive Computer: Oceanic Datamask

Support for Multiple Logs

Post by Icemn2003 »

Hi,
My wife and I both use MacDive on our respective Macs. We're going to be on a liveaboard dive boat next week, and would like to only bring one computer. Does MacDive support multiple logs on a single client? Thanks
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Support for Multiple Logs

Post by nick »

There are not multiple log files, but it supports multiple divers and computers.

You automatically get playlists for "Diver" and "Computer" in the source view, and you can add "diver = X" for any smart divelog you create. You don't really need multiple individual files in this case, but of course it's no good for multiple computers.

If you really want to do that as a temporary measure, then just take both MacDive.sqlite files and rename them when restarting, or use separate login accounts.
Icemn2003
Dive Computer: Oceanic Datamask

Post by Icemn2003 »

How do i tell the program to which .sqlite file to save any given information? If I understand correctly, I could rename mine and my wife's files with our names and then view them both in MacDive at once? Or do i need to close and open another file to swap between? I don't see a means to close a file, only to exit the program (the "close" menu item quits the program) thanks for the quick reply.

Another option may be, as you mentioned- to import her dives to my log, and then to export them when we return, and finally delete them on my Mac after wards? Would I be able to export and carry all of the data (notes etc) that she records?

Thanks again!
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

You would need to quit, and then rename (for example) MacDive.sqlite to MacDive.sqlite.A. And then rename MacDive.sqlite.B to MacDive.sqlite, and reopen to use that data. And vice versa to swap the data back.

Keep in mind this is just a hack for you to use one laptop with both sets of data, it's not a proper solution.

Importing/Exporting is not a good option, as there aren't any supported formats that will retain everything. You are much better to use this hack if you are trying to use multiple distinct logs.
davef
Dive Computer: OSTC 2C

Post by davef »

Why not just create a second account on your laptop and then fast-user-switch between them to access the two different log files? Because MacDive stores the log file in the users library not the machine library it *should* treat each log in account as a separate entity.