MacDive on iPad

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
KSondergard
Dive Computer: Suunto Vyper

Re: MacDive on iPad

Post by KSondergard »

Hi

Oh yes, MacDive app for iPad, that would be wonderful :D

The format of the iPad is absolutely perfect for an electronic Log Book. If I had the time and knowledge I would be glad to give you a hand creating such an app, but I don't either have the time or knowledge :oops:

Just so that I understand it correctly, there will never be an app build for iPad? only option will only be the iPhone app??

Imagine this:
Just out of the water and back on the boat, now you start your iPad an create a new site using the GPS. Add some details about the dive, and have your buddy sign the dive (on the iPad).

When back at your computer, import the dive from your dive computer. Sync your iPad with the computer and the merge the dive graph and dive entry (entered on the iPad on the boat).

Also an idear, have an gas blender calc build in the iPad app, supporting tech diving :D :D

There you have it, an app that would sell :lol:

Regards, Kent
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

No, the iPad version of Dive Log will be available very soon.

Dive Log is currently iPhone only, but Greg is just finishing off the universal version that works natively on the iPad. So.. basically what you described will be possible very shortly.
gjc999
Dive Computer: Pro 2.1

Post by gjc999 »

I just updated my iPad apps and the new iPad native Dive Log was available! Awesome!
Dave
Dive Computer: Shearwater Petrel

Post by Dave »

Yep .. I just got the free update a few days ago from Greg at Dive Log too .. I now have the Ipad App from Dive Log. It updates the Iphone app that I was using on the iPad. Looks great. :D
Walthour

Post by Walthour »

frogger wrote:Personally I think it would be cool enough to just have aipad 2 case Macdive iPad app that I could sync my dive log data with and then once there manipulate it. I am still happy to connect my D4 to my Macbook Pro foripad cases downloads though it would be a blow away feature if you could sync your computer directly with the iPad. Or equally awesome would be if Macdive could upload it's database to an online location where other devicesiPad2 cases could share it, maybe even have a web based version that you could run in mobile Safari or download a local version to sync with an iPhone/iPad app. Not that we are asking for much hey Nick? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BTW - I know about and already use the Dive Log iPhone app and although it's pretty good it's not a particularly sleek solution. :)

I would like to have an online system where sites can be shared and rated etc, that kind of thing. A friend of mine was working on something, but he's since moved countries and started a new job so I think he's a little busy.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Walthour wrote: I would like to have an online system where sites can be shared and rated etc, that kind of thing. A friend of mine was working on something, but he's since moved countries and started a new job so I think he's a little busy.
I have been planning on building something like this in. I will probably do an update that starts recording dive sites etc and then a further update that enables using the online data in the application itself after that, once a bit of data has been recorded.

Same with dive operators, possibly gear etc. It would be cool to add a piece of gear and have it auto complete the name/manufacturer, download an image etc.
hellsbells
Dive Computer: D4

Post by hellsbells »

KSondergard wrote:Hi

Oh yes, MacDive app for iPad, that would be wonderful :D

The format of the iPad is absolutely perfect for an electronic Log Book. If I had the time and knowledge I would be glad to give you a hand creating such an app, but I don't either have the time or knowledge :oops:

Just so that I understand it correctly, there will never be an app build for iPad? only option will only be the iPhone app??

Imagine this:
Just out of the water and back on the boat, now you start your iPad an create a new site using the GPS. Add some details about the dive, and have your buddy sign the dive (on the iPad).

When back at your computer, import the dive from your dive computer. Sync your iPad with the computer and the merge the dive graph and dive entry (entered on the iPad on the boat).

Also an idear, have an gas blender calc build in the iPad app, supporting tech diving :D :D

There you have it, an app that would sell :lol:

Regards, Kent
This is exactly what I did on my last dive trip. :-)

Took my iphone with me, logged all my dives on it into DiveLog, including GPS. Then when I got home, loaded my D4 profiles to Macdive and then synced the lot, it merges automatically (with a few check to make sure its working) and hey presto - a great dive log on my Macbook, my iphone, and now my ipad!

Couple of things that could do with a bit of tweaking perhaps....

1. Not all the fields sync properly. I lose my tank size, weight (argh) and suit type, as well as air mix. Would be great if you could get those working.
2. Not sure if photos of dive sites, taken on the iphone and attached in DiveLog are synced properly to Macdive?

Other than that, I'm loving it, and looking forward to taking my ipad away with me next time :)

Thanks guys, worth the licence fee.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

hellsbells wrote: 1. Not all the fields sync properly. I lose my tank size, weight (argh) and suit type, as well as air mix. Would be great if you could get those working.
Dive Suit is based on a Gear Item in MacDive. It isn't "synced" as such - if you have a piece of Gear of type "Wetsuit" or "Drysuit", then this will be set as the Dive Suit in Dive Log when you do a sync. I need to add this to the help and explain it.

Tank Size should be synced properly.

Weight is not supported in the current version, as per MacDive's help (under Dive Log Sync). But, the next version that Greg and I are testing now does support weight. So a little patience and that will be sorted..

Air mix - do you mean the O2 percentage? That should be synced correctly also. For most of this it would be good if you could follow the "reporting problems" guide (http://mac-dive.com/help/index.php?title=Dive_Log_Sync) and send me your MacDive.sqlite file and Dive Log database, so I can take a look.

But weight is the only thing that isn't currently supported from that lot.
2. Not sure if photos of dive sites, taken on the iphone and attached in DiveLog are synced properly to Macdive?
Site images are supported in the next patch, along with weight and some other improvements also. It should be a lot better actually.
hellsbells
Dive Computer: D4

Post by hellsbells »

Cool, I'm diving next weekend so I'll follow those instructions and send you the file. Cheers!
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Great. Just drop them in a mail to me (support@mac-dive.com).