Pro Plus 2 timeout

Problems ? Get help here!
DocCarl
Dive Computer: Pro Plus 2

Re: Pro Plus 2 timeout

Post by DocCarl »

Boris,

I triple checked my installation tonight. Uninstalled all drivers, and re-installed, making sure that the bundle was for 10.4, 5, &6.

Went through the FTDI troubleshooting document. Verified that the driver is owned by root and wheel.
Everything shows up in /dev directory, and in system profiler.

I've tried both of my USB ports, and two different Pro Plus 2 computers (my fiancee has one as well). The only thing that I haven't been able to switch out yet is the USB cable. I can try that first part of next week when I go by my LDS.

danimal:
Yes, there are some differences between ProPlus2 and 2.1- - - -but I find it interesting that we are having the EXACT same problem: serial port won't open.

Tnt:
Is there some similarity with the veo and the proplus2? Or does that post not pertain to us. I have access to a windows machine, if that will help. Just let me know what to do!!!

Carl
TnT
Dive Computer: many

Post by TnT »

DocCarl wrote: Is there some similarity with the veo and the proplus2? Or does that post not pertain to us. I have access to a windows machine, if that will help. Just let me know what to do!!!
Sorry, my mistake. I intended to write "vtpro" instead of "veo". The proplus2 uses the vtpro backend for communication. The instructions remain the same, just use the correct backend, but for portmon that doesn't matter at all.
DocCarl

Post by DocCarl »

No prob- - I thought that's what you might have meant.

I've got to go to work, I'll get the information for you tonight after I get home.
DocCarl

Post by DocCarl »

Update:

When attempting to get the information that TnT has requested, I'm running into errors at every turn.

In windows 7 (64bit), with the proper drivers installed, I get a 'time out' when trying to connect to OceanLog. - - -This is after it displays "USB interface FOUND".

Same thing when I attempt to use PortMon. When I select "connect local" under "computer", I get a pop up displaying "Error 2"

I'm clueless, unless I just have a bad cable.
I'm headed to the dive shop right now, and will see if I can get a new cable.

I'll also try to run portmon on my friends old XP machine & see if I can get SOMETHING to work that way.
TnT
Dive Computer: many

Post by TnT »

Portmon doesn't seem to work very well (or at all) on Windows 7. Running in Windows XP compatibility mode should work.

I'm not sure why oceanlog doesn't work. If you plugin the usb cable, do you get a new COM port (check in device manager)? One of the Prolific or FTDI drivers (I don't recall which one right now) has an option to enable the VCP port, and sometimes it isn't checked automatically.
DocCarl

Post by DocCarl »

Sorry for the lack of communication over the past few weeks.

As of right now, I'm still trying to get the oceanlog software working on a windows (XP) machine.
about a week and a half ago, I emailed Oceanic looking for help, but have still not yet received a reply. I'm headed out for a week in the Florida Keys, but I'll follow up with Oceanic when I get back. Once I get the ProPlus2 working with the original software, I'll post here again and will see if we can get everything working as it should. Thanks for you help so far, though!

Carl
DocCarl

Post by DocCarl »

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!!

I thought I'd share the resolution to the problems I was having.
When I bought my Pro Plus 2 package (compass, cable, quick disconnect) I received the wrong cable. The pro plus 2 uses a slightly different cable than the new pro plus 2.1. When I exchanged the cable several months ago, I received an identical (wrong) cable in return. Frustrated with Oceanic's inability to return an email, I basically gave up trying to figure out why I couldn't get the PP2 to be recognized by any software. I decided to try again last week, and discovered a thread on scubaboard from a 2.1 owner that had the same problem. When she revealed that she learned about the difference in cable, a little research on oceanic's website showed that I had the cable part number that matched the PP2.1.

This thread was the first google hit for "Pro Plus 2 Mac Dive Importing", so maybe this will save someone else a big headache later on!

Carl
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

That's useful information, thanks.

I take it you have everything working nicely now?