Uwatec Aladin Tec 2G - again...

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
kva
Dive Computer: Uwatec Aladin TEC 2G

Uwatec Aladin Tec 2G - again...

Post by kva »

I keep going on about my Uwatec don't I?

Anyway,

I haven't managed to get IR working on my MacBook. I have bought and returned four(!) IrDa devices by now an none works. That means I can't get my dives in to Jtrack.
So I have accepted the fate that I'm forced to use Windows to download my dives from the computer. If I was happy with the SmartTrak software on the PC all would be well but since I'm a mac user I have a bit higher expectations on the usability of software so I want to use MacDive.

Whilst experimenting with the transfer process I have just noticed a problem with regards to the UDCF-format. It doesn't contains temperature samples.

So when I do this...
Uwatec --> SmartTrac --> Diving Log 5.0 --> UDCF --> MacDive
I loose the per-sample temperature data. :cry:

Diving Log 5.0 is an excellent piece of software, if I wanted to use windows I would log my dives in it. So luckily the developer has been foreseeing enough to allow for the raw export of the profile data.

That means I could do this...
Uwatec --> SmartTrac --> Diving Log 5.0 --> Raw profile data. --> MacDive
without loosing any info.
But only if... here it comes... MacDive could import the data.

So Nick, pretty please, would you consider an import option for the following data?

I was planning to attach the profile of a shallow training dive in both .csv and .txt so you could pick the easiest. But I was not allowed to upload .csv or text files. So i cut in a few rows here instead. If you want to I could email them to you.

Profile1.csv

Code: Select all

Time;Depth;Deco;RBT;Ascent;Descent;Work
00:04;1,24;0;0;0;0;0
00:08;1,14;0;0;0;0;0
00:12;1,28;0;0;0;0;0
00:16;1,12;0;0;0;0;0
Profile2.csv

Time;Temperature;Tank pressure 1;Tank ID;RBT
00:04;25,2;0,0;0;0
00:08;25,2;0,0;0;0
00:12;25,2;0,0;0;0
00:16;25,2;0,0;0;0
Profile2.csv (my Tec2 doesn't give this data)

Time;Tank pressure 2;Tank pressure 3;Heart rate;Compass
Cheers,
Marcus
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Uwatec Aladin Tec 2G - again...

Post by nick »

Is that all the information that is contained in the sample files ? No device type or dates or anything? And what's the story with Profile1.csv and Profile2.csv? They seem to have different columns.

But sure, you can email them to me. I'm just finalising v2.0.0 and I won't be adding anything new to it. I could definitely add it for you in an update after that. It might require a bunch of manual entry on your part if that's the only data that you can export, however.

We could possibly talk to Sven (of DivingLog) and see if perhaps he would (optionally) allow you to include the temperature information in his exported UDCF files, and I could then include support for importing them.
kva

Post by kva »

nick wrote:Is that all the information that is contained in the sample files ? No device type or dates or anything? And what's the story with Profile1.csv and Profile2.csv? They seem to have different columns.
Yes, it has split the data in three separate files so I have to make three separate exports, just the way it works I guess.
nick wrote:We could possibly talk to Sven (of DivingLog) and see if perhaps he would (optionally) allow you to include the temperature information in his exported UDCF files, and I could then include support for importing them.
That would be a much neater solution and kind of solve (almost) everything...
If you speak to Sven, there is an other issue with the udcf from Diving log, it doesn't contain the device used during the dive either.

<DEVICE>
    <VENDOR>Sven Knoch</VENDOR>
    <MODEL>Diving Log</MODEL>
    <VERSION>5.0.0.0</VERSION>
</DEVICE>
If you want the udcf instead let me know.

I suggest we'll continue on this after you've gotten 2.0 out the door. In the meanwhile I can keep looking for an ir-dongle that works... I like my computer too much to swap it for a Suunto and I like my MacBook and MacDive too much to log my dives on the PC. A pickle... ;)
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Cheers. Let me drop him a mail after work and see if we can sort something out for 2.x.x.

That would be infinitely better than trying to import three different files for one dive!
TnT
Dive Computer: many

Post by TnT »

Diving Log can download directly from the dive computer, so you can skip the smarttrak step. With a little extra work from Nick, you could even skip the Diving Log step too. You could download the raw data (e.g. memory dump) on Windows with my test application (which has an option to download only new dives), and import the binary data into macdive (this is the part that will need some coding from nick). That way you wouldn't loose any info at all. Since Smarttrak stores the raw data internally, the same could could be used for a future smarttrak importer as well.

You would still need windows, but at least the number of steps would reduce significantly!
kva

Post by kva »

That would be really cool, the big question is if Nick can be persuaded to write an importer that data-file.
Where can I find your downloader for the Tec 2?

Edit:
Think I found it.
Is it the aladin.exe here http://www.divesoftware.org/libdc/builds/windows/ ?
TnT
Dive Computer: many

Post by TnT »

You need the "smart" application. The "aladin" is for the older aladin series (with a serial cable, not infrared).
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

kva wrote:the big question is if Nick can be persuaded to write an importer that data-file.
Yup, this isn't a problem. It will be a post 2.0 thing, but it's definitely not a problem.
kva

Post by kva »

TnT wrote:You need the "smart" application. The "aladin" is for the older aladin series (with a serial cable, not infrared).
Thanks, I'll give it a try over the weekend.
nick wrote:Yup, this isn't a problem. It will be a post 2.0 thing, but it's definitely not a problem.
Nick, you are a star. By the time you are ready to start on that stuff I'll have some more dives logged in the computer.
kva

Post by kva »

nick wrote:
kva wrote:the big question is if Nick can be persuaded to write an importer that data-file.
Yup, this isn't a problem. It will be a post 2.0 thing, but it's definitely not a problem.
2.0 looks really good. Well done!
I'm just bumping the thing that would allow me to log on the Mac instead of the PC.