Logbook printouts

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
kva
Dive Computer: Uwatec Aladin TEC 2G

Logbook printouts

Post by kva »

I don't know what printing options you are panning for v.2 but here's what i'd like.
  • Logpage printout - the page with all the info, profile, weather, exposure suit etc.
  • Statistics printout - geeky dive-stats with graphs. I'll expand on those at a later time.
  • Dive log printout - Nice heading then one dive on one row. Suggestion: [Date & Time | Site | Team or Buddy | Duration | Max depth | Water temp | Mix ]
Chris 413
Dive Computer: Suunto HelO2

Re: Logbook printouts

Post by Chris 413 »

I like this idea. One line with dive #, Date, Time, Location, Gas, Max Depth, and buddy. THat way you can print a page or two as a log to take with you on a trip.
Oh, and on that note dive numbering???? A specific place rather than the first thing in the notes page as I have been using.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Chris 413 wrote:I like this idea. One line with dive #, Date, Time, Location, Gas, Max Depth, and buddy. THat way you can print a page or two as a log to take with you on a trip.
Oh, and on that note dive numbering???? A specific place rather than the first thing in the notes page as I have been using.
There's already a CSV export in 1.5.3 - I guess you can just do that and then do whatever you like with the data ? Print it out or whatever.

Actually I haven't added CSV export back into 2.0.0.. I was thinking of leaving it out. Is this a useful thing, should I add it back ?
kva

Post by kva »

nick wrote:There's already a CSV export in 1.5.3 - I guess you can just do that and then do whatever you like with the data ? Print it out or whatever.
Yes, that can be achieved by CSV-export but it's not how I envisioned it.
I was more thinking like a condensed log, showing only the bare essentials and with a nice page header with your name, certification, total number of dives, accumulated bottomtime, deepest dive, longest dive etc.

Just like Chris picked up on, something to print out and bring on a trip to show the dive operator or to an instructor you planning a course with. Or maybe even to submit to GUE for recertification.
nick wrote:Actually I haven't added CSV export back into 2.0.0.. I was thinking of leaving it out. Is this a useful thing, should I add it back ?
If you ask me, I think you should. Reasons are:
  • Full data extraction give your users ownership of their own data. If they move to a different platform or buys a computer that's not supported. MacDive does not punish them.
  • Exports are always nice :) , it give the users the freedom to extract and manipulate the data externally and them bring it back in. I don't if there will be bulk-update situations in MD2 where you want to do this but it's nice to be able to.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

It's no problem to add back - I just realised that I hadn't actually done it. There are other export options, one of which is a new XML format that I just hacked together which is a little more flexible than UDCF. So it's not like you can't get your data out (and if you're brave you can always just use sqlite directly), but sure making it more convenient is a good thing.

I guess I should also include some "personal details" so you can record your certification number etc. Actually I was thinking of integrating with Address Book to add those fields to it and keep things centralised. I believe you can add custom fields, like cert no/level, that kinda thing - then address book can deal with the rest.

Not sure if you could include an image of the card, though.
kva

Post by kva »

Addressbook integration is the Apple way, It's cool! I'm pretty sure you can add custom fields to Addressbook. I'm not sure if they'll show up in the iPhone however.
A scan/photo of the cert-card might be a cool feature, but in reality how many of us will ask our buddy for a snap of the card?
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Not me. :) I meant more for your own card, and to then have it accessible in macdive - otherwise I'd still have to maintain a list of divers/buddies and their associated cards. Though, to be honest, that's no big deal really.
kva

Post by kva »

Ah... :oops: not a scan for every buddy then.
I'm sure Addressbook will suffice for buddy-info.
Some user data may need to be stored as you say, but maybe you add most of it to the "Me-card" in addressbook. Someone may want to keep a certification history etc. in order to see what dives where made in what level but I'm not too sure that I would. A 2.2 candidate maybe?
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Yeah. It's not something I've had any requests for, but then, the buddies in 1.5.3 are really just nothing - just a string. In 2.0.0 it's a little different so there's definitely scope to expand on it.
Chris 413
Dive Computer: Suunto HelO2

Post by Chris 413 »

I did not know I could export it that way. Learn new tricks all the time.