Tank management and doubles

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
henrik
Dive Computer: Petrel + Predator

Tank management and doubles

Post by henrik »

In my opinion the "Double tank" checkmark should be in the tank management display, not as a choice on each dive.

I don' know of anyone who use their doubles as two independent tanks, they are always assembled as a unit.

It makes more sense (at least to me) to label my twinset as "ECS D12 / 232" in tank management, than having an "ECS 12 / 232" and checking off "doubles" in each dive.

Also, by having doubles as a single unity, you could directly link it as a Gear entry, and have fields for things like weight including manifold and bands.
henrik

Re: Tank management and doubles

Post by henrik »

No thoughts on this?

I also have to tick off the "doubles" checkmark on each new dive I import. You could make MacDive remember the last state of that checkbox, I guess. That would alleviate the immediate annoyance, but I think it would be better to have that checkmark on the Tank entry itself.
Jean-Francois
Dive Computer: Perdix

Post by Jean-Francois »

What I did to counter all this is in the gas management "cmd + T" create a tank that's of the size of both tanks.

Hmm that ain't really clear :)

So I dive with a twin 10L so I created a tank called Twin 10L with a size of 20L. It sorted everything for me and I don't have to use the double tank check box.
henrik

Post by henrik »

Jean-Francois wrote:What I did to counter all this is in the gas management "cmd + T" create a tank that's of the size of both tanks.

Hmm that ain't really clear :)

So I dive with a twin 10L so I created a tank called Twin 10L with a size of 20L. It sorted everything for me and I don't have to use the double tank check box.
I did that as well, but it feels like a bad workaround. Especially since macdive has explicit support for doubles.
Derek
Dive Computer: Shearwater Predator

Post by Derek »

This comment is not about where within MacDive an option for doubles can be selected, but an attempt to make clear how they are often used.

Henrik says "I don't know of anyone who use[s] their doubles as two independent tanks, they are always assembled as a unit."

In fact, "doubles" (better known as "twins" outside North America) are often used as independent tanks. Many open circuit diver do not use a manifold, and occasionally (for good reasons, which I won't bore you with here) have a different mix in each back tank (while also carrying a deco sling).

It would not make sense to set up in MacDive only a configuration option in which doubles / twins are treated as though they were one big tank, as when used without a manifold (the preferred option of many) the tank gas pressures are monitored separately, and sometimes they may not contain the same mix. In essence, they function in exactly the same manner as a back tank and a sling, NOT as one large tank.

Hope this may help.

Derek
henrik

Post by henrik »

If you're diving with separate gases and without manifold on your twins, it's not a unit as such. The only sane choice here would be to register two separate tanks. The setup is also quite unusual, I'd expect, since there's no agency teaching stuff like that. At least not in the rec-to-intro tek sphere, where 99% of all divers are.

Anyway, that's not important to this request. I'd still like the "doubles" checkmark within the tank selector. Me (and all my double-tank diving buddies) have to check that mark every time we log a dive.

Can we at least have the "remember doubles checkmark" feature? Not optimal, but better than 1) checking every time or 2) creating a 24L tank for my twin twelves.