Meaning of "tissue warning"

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
sammio5

Meaning of "tissue warning"

Post by sammio5 »

Hi, first of all thanks for the great software! I have a quick question that maybe is suunto specific. I am a new diver and I noticed on my 6th dive (to about 60 feet after a dive about 1.5 hours prior to the same depth), at the end of the dive there is a "tissue warning" event. For this dive in particular I'm pretty sure I followed the advice on the computer quite closely (I have a suunto d4i), and I don't see any other bad events on the dive. Any idea what this means?

Cheers,
Sam
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Meaning of "tissue warning"

Post by nick »

This alarm is raised by your dive computer. Check your manual which should describe the various warnings for your particular device better than I will!
sammio5

Post by sammio5 »

It has no information about this warning and I could nothing online so I gave this forum a shot :) I guess I'll shoot suunto an email. Thanks!
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Does the suunto software explain it?

I took a quick look at the manual after I posted that, and indeed there doesn't seem to be any information on it. If you find out, post back as I would be interested to know what it actually means too.
tdtaylor
Dive Computer: Cobra+D4i

Post by tdtaylor »

I have likewise received many of these warnings with the D4i. My Cobra does not have the same warnings. These warnings do reside in the raw data of the D4i file.

Having noticed this since I picked up the D4i on January (I have 30 dives on it), I have tracked it quite closely- nothing ever shows up on the screen during the dive (except the occasional accent rate warning), and my local Suunto Dealer who I often dive with (he has over 5,000 dives and is an instructor trainer) is puzzled. The last warning occurred in a lake that was only a 35 foot dive and the only dive of the day with very low decending and acceding profiles. I even have a tissue warning at the end of a 7 minute safety stop while I waited for others, and while the dive was to 85 feet, it had a very slow accent rate. The warnings tend to occur at the end of a accent (which are in compliance with <30'/min). He called his Suunto rep, and they were baffled. It does not show up if the files are loaded into the Suunto PC program-only the occasional accent warning shows up (my bad). At this point, I carefully follow the computer underwater, and have been ignoring the warning that show up in MacDive (I actually have deleted a few of the repeating ones just because they annoy).

Have also received PO2 warnings, which make absolutely no sense. They tend to occur at the end of accents or in the middle of safety stops, often on the first dive of the day (single tank, EAN 32, 50-65 minutes typ.). Have even received a unintelligible warning after a fast decent-"Attention"- we could not figure this one out either. He has a D4, has not downloaded the files and has never received these warning.

With all of this stated, I believe this is the fault of the D4i. I do not see these same issues in the Cobra, that is my backup. I DO NOT think this is the fault of MacDive, which just utilizes the raw data. Like the Suunto PC Software, maybe MacDive should add a toggle to turn off warnings- don't think this is real safe, but maybe that is why the Suunto program provided this function?

Terry
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

You can turn alarms off in Preferences -> General, or as you found, delete specific ones out of the raw data.
tdtaylor

Post by tdtaylor »

Much appreciated- missed that. I think I'll keep deleting the senseless warnings like "PO2" warnings at safety stops and "Attention" on descents so the real ones, like the occasional "Accent Warning" will bug me to keep an eye on it.

I hope I made it clear I do not feel your software is at fault. Your software can only address the information given to you by the computer.

Thanks as always.

Terry
sammio5

Post by sammio5 »

Just to follow up (and also to be clear I don't blame your software for this! I just had thought these forums would be a good starting point), the response I got from Suunto was:

With the D4i the warning symbol is shown if any one of the tissue compartment saturations (slow or fast) is 75% or above. The idea is to warn the diver if tissue saturation is “relatively close” to maximum. The lack of the symbol does not indicate that the surface interval would be sufficiently long – it indicates that if the symbol is on, you should rather be extra cautious (e.g. not lifting any heavy objects (such as double tanks) or exercise (go jogging). The D4i shows the “srf” (surface interval time) on the Time mode secondary field very conveniently. Also the tissue percentages are visible when the user activates the DIVE mode.

When I dug into the nitrogen bar graphs using the suunto software, sure enough some of the "compartments" were rather high at the end of the dive that triggered this. The response above is a little hard to parse but the basic idea seems to match my observations. It is a little annoying that they don't document this anywhere in the manual (and to be honest I don't remember seeing any alerts on the watch itself) but now I know.

Cheers,
Sam
tdtaylor

Post by tdtaylor »

I am almost positive that alerts do not show up on the 4Di on the Dive Screen in the water. I guess if I scrolled down to the bar charts on the 4Di (think I remember correctly that they are with the profiles), I would see them, but can't say I am going to do this during a dive.

But if I understand the message correctly, it is only really for use during the surface interval. Guess I'll take a look at the screens after my next dive- can't say I have ever scrolled through them, rather just check the timer on the surface interval. I'm not even sure of the symbol you refer to, but now I'll be looking for it -often matters if I have my bifocals on ;-).

I have looked at the Suunto software, and a few of the compartments are probably just at 75%- hard to tell exactly.

At least you received a more complete answer than we received through the Dealer network. And I agree that I don't remember seeing it in the manual, which I did read, but just may not remember it. Thanks for the info.

Thanks,

Terry