Low resolution country flag symbols on ipad 2

Problems ? Get help here!
sharky1
Dive Computer: Suunto Cobra

Low resolution country flag symbols on ipad 2

Post by sharky1 »

Is there any way to get an high resolution flag symbol on my ipad 2?
I can change a flag symbol on my ipad for a high resolution symbol, but when i synchronize it with my imac it loses the high resolution symbol and replaces it for the standard low resolution symbol.
Is there any way to replace the low resolution flag symbols for high resolution flag symbols on my imac so when synchronizing i don't lose the high resolution flag symbols?

Thanks.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Low resolution country flag symbols on ipad 2

Post by nick »

Not currently, sorry.
sharky1

Post by sharky1 »

Too bad.
Maybe for a next update.
Wikipedia is a great source for high resolution flag symbols.
I tested it on my ipad and looked awesome
sharky1

Post by sharky1 »

I read the underneath in the faq:

Why are my countries missing flags?
There are only a limited number of country flags stored in MacDive. Sometimes you will name something differently and you won't get a flag. For instance, currently (as of 2.0.1), if you set your country to "United Kingdom" you won't get a flag. The flag is stored as "UK".
There are two solutions currently. First, you can change your country name to match the stored flags.
Second, you can manually browse through the contents of MacDive's bundle (right click -> show package contents) to the Resources/Flags directory and copy them to suit, but please note these changes will be overwritten with any patch.
Neither is ideal, and I'm currently working on a better solution to deal with this, or to at least make it easy to modify flag names so they won't get modified when patches are released.

Isn't it possible to just replace these *.PNG files with *.PNG files with a higher resolution?

Maybe this is the solution !
sharky1

Post by sharky1 »

Ok so I tried to place a high resolution png flag in the directory and have to conclude unfortunatly that it doesn't work like in my previous post.
Too bad.
Waiting for this feature in a coming release ! :mrgreen:
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

I would have to check as it's been a while since I looked, but they may be getting scaled down before being put in the database. Even if you did replace the flags, any update to MacDive would remove them.

I have always been meaning to add a way of specifying your own flags, it's just not been high up on the priority list. If there was a royalty free source of higher quality flag images, I would be happy to include them.
sharky1

Post by sharky1 »

I can try to provide you with all high resolution flags that are known in MacDive and then send you an email with a zip/rar file (containing the flags).

The only thing I want to know if there's a restriction in format (width x height) of the picture to put them in the database.
I assume that the file extension has to be *.PNG.

Let me know. ;)

Stefan
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

The images are not stored in MacDive's database.

When they are moved to the iPhone/iPad, they are scaled. So the size doesn't really matter, minus time to process them during a sync (if they're too big it may be annoying).

But I would need to know where the files came from and be sure that they're not under any copyright, etc etc. I'd also prefer a full set - not just the odd one. There are a couple hundred flags (you can see a list from the instructions you posted earlier). I wouldn't mind paying a little bit for them if there was a good source. I'll take a look around and see.
sharky1

Post by sharky1 »

Ok thnx.
I will have a look as well and inform you if I found a good resource.

Stefan
sharky1

Post by sharky1 »

5 minutes in wikipedia gave me some results of high resolution flag symbols which are free to use without license.

See the link :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_s ... l_entities

Let me know if this is something you can use.

Stefan