Sync MacBook - iPad - iMac

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
maaxmelbourne
Dive Computer: Suunto Stinger

Sync MacBook - iPad - iMac

Post by maaxmelbourne »

Good morning Nick

Taking it to the extreme: Syncing between iPad and Mac works very well. Whilst being away, we usually take laptop and iPad. Back home, data is centrally stored on the iMac.

What's your recommendation to keep all 3 devices in sync (and my wife does have another iPad, though in theory 4 way sync).

Have a great day!
Ax
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Sync MacBook - iPad - iMac

Post by nick »

Currently it's something you'd need to do manually. So - before you leave, copy your latest data to the laptop. Do whatever you need. Get back, and copy that data to your main computer.

You should be able to perform the MacDive <-> Dive Log sync between the laptop and iOS device while you're away, and your laptop data will be up to date. Then copy it back to the main computer manually. This is the best way in terms of MacDive, because the sync will lose a little information. For example, you could use the iPad to sync the changes back to your Mac at home, but certain things (like the profile for one) are stored a bit differently in Dive Log and you would lose some data accuracy.

I believe some people have had success by moving their MacDive data folder to Drop Box and leaving a link in its place, though this has its own issues and isn't officially supported. Should work fine so long as you are careful about not editing it from multiple places at once though. (Drop Box would end up creating a copied conflict file so you may lose a couple things).

A better sync option for MacDive itself is certainly something that would be useful. Hope that helps somewhat?
Schoentje
Dive Computer: Oceanic VT3

Post by Schoentje »

Hi,

I have tried this option but it isn’t working at my MacBook Pro with 10.7.2 and MacDive 2.1.1.

How there will Be an built-in option in MacDive to do this in the near future because I would like to store my data on one place and use it with my MacPro and MacBook Pro.

Cheers,

Twan
YFinder
Dive Computer: Atomic Cobalt

Post by YFinder »

I originally also was looking for this for my iMac and MBP. But, in the end I decided that since it syncs to my iPhone beautifully i don't need it on my MBP (even though it's always with me on diving trips.)

I'm not saying it shouldn't be a feature, but I AM saying that i've realized that i can wait to get back home to upload my dives then sync them to my phone. This is also probably because i have the Atomic Cobalt which lets me read dive profiles, etc right on the dive computer. For me, not that big of an issue; for others i can still see the value in being able to off-load the dives on their MBP, etc... then sync to their other computers later.

I guess it's all about sitting around having drinks afterwards and talking and showing stuff off ;-)
Duo
Dive Computer: Vyper AIR

Post by Duo »

Do you think we could use this utility?

http://joeworkman.net/blog/post-9591023714

Olivier
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

I'm sure it would work, but note the warnings. This is not an officially supported method. I am sure it works fine provided you are careful, but you do so at your own risk.