Gear / Tank confusion

Problems ? Get help here!
jarold
Dive Computer: Mares Puck Pro

Gear / Tank confusion

Post by jarold »

Hi,

Just finalizing a few items after having migrated all my data from DivelogDT to MacDive & am a little confused with regards to Gear/Tanks & the relationship.

I've added all the gear I've used on each dive to the dives including the specific tanks I used after having created them in Gear, so for example I have a 'Blue' 12 & a 'Yellow' 12, a Fifteen, a rented 12, rented 15 & rented 15 dumpy and this all shows up fine.

What I am confused about is in the Dive Inspector in the 'Gases' section in MacDive for MacOS where it appears I can select a 'Tank' under the right side of the Inspector under Selected Mix but these are not the Tanks I created in gear, in fact none of the ones I created in Gear are present & I seemingly have the option to create more?

Help?

k
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Gear / Tank confusion

Post by nick »

This reminds me I need to do a section on managing gases in the user guide. I'll try to get to that.

But to answer you, you don't record tanks as pieces of gear. (In the old days you did). Rather, you just manage tanks separately. When you go to the gases tab there's a button to manage tanks/gases, which is also available from one of the menus. You add tanks there. Those are used to define a tank/gas combination. So you are correct in seeing that there is somewhere else to create tanks, because the idea is they weren't created in gear in the first place.

Generally speaking, I'd say most people have one tank they dive with and their dives just auto-assign it and they never think about it. If you want to configure it you can, it's just done a little separately to "Gear". You can think of them as special pieces of gear I suppose, that get managed differently. You can set a default tank as well. Some dive computers let you input the tank for SAC calculations, and that can be read and the tanks auto created or assigned for you also.

Hope that helps explain it a little. I'll try and find some time to finish that section for the guide, which I neglected to update when I migrated the help system across.

tl;dr yes, tanks are managed differently to gear.
jarold

Post by jarold »

Hi Nick,

Makes sense except for management of servicing/testing history (& less important tracking how much you paid, where & when you bought the tank) which is only available in gear. Which means they really need to be in gear too (& I think there was already a category called Tank there which is why I created them there) but there's no linkage between the tanks in Gear & the tanks in Tanks.

Can you see my concern?

k
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

You can achieve that by adding a "duplicate" of it to gear. There's no harm in tracking it two ways for those purposes. You can add it to the dives as well if you care to.

Thanks.
MacDive Support
jarold

Post by jarold »

:-)