Syncing loop

Problems ? Get help here!
Jean-Francois
Dive Computer: Perdix

Syncing loop

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hi Nick,

Since I've downloaded my last 2 dives, MacDive (both on the mac and the iPhone) goes into a syncing loop. When the syncing process is done, it starts over right away.

I don't know what happened. I wanted to correct some info in the dive inspector and all of a sudden it went into this syncing loop. I might have hit a bad key combination but I don't know which one.
Under preference, Cloud Sync is enable (via dropbox), Automatically sync is set to never. I've tried to do the syncing via iCloud but it would also go into this loop mode and it wouldn't sync it on the iPhone.
Moreover, when syncing, on my phone it would log 552 dives but when I tap on the All Dives tab, I only see 551 (although the syncing was supposedly complete).

What I've tried so far is :

- disable and reenable sync (both on the mac and the iPhone)
- Close MacDive and restart it
- Turn off the computer and restart everything
- Delete the last 2 dives and download them again
- Tried iCloud syncing
- Deleted the app on my phone and redownloaded it (the app the syncing loop remains :( ) and it added some 220 more dives...

I'm at a loss here. I just don't dare deleting MacDive on my mac because I don't want to loose all my dives. To note : during this whole process, it added some 200 dives numbered 0. This might to do something with me clicking the Logbookmacdive.udcf file though.
WPaJim
Dive Computer: PerdexAI/Teric

Re: Syncing loop

Post by WPaJim »

I was just about to send a similar message, although I'm not getting the additional dives. here Is what I was about to post:

I am syncing via dropbox and syncing seems to be caught in some kind of loop. When I open MacDive it starts the sync process and seems to proceed normally , but then immediately starts again. These subsequent syncs take relatively little time to "complete". I see progress bars every other round of syncing data-syncing images. Closing MacDive and reopening has no effect. Disabling cloud sync in preferences stops the loop but it starts cycling again when I re-enable it. Syncing on my iOS devices also seems caught in a loop. I terminated iOS MacDive on my phone and iPad and restarted with no impact on the problem.

Jim
ScubaMike
Dive Computer: Perdix AI

Post by ScubaMike »

Wow, same here, just started yesterday.

Here is what I am seeing on my iPad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0smjQp ... e=youtu.be
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Strange. Haven't heard of this, and I didn't change anything lately. Can you please try this:

1. Disable syncing on all devices, except one (say your Mac)
2. On the Mac, Reset Cloud Data
3. Confirm this
4. Go ahead and tidy up your local data, delete the excess dives etc, on your Mac. If they have made it to your phone, you could delete the app and just reinstall later.
5. Now leave it for an hour or so (particularly for iCloud)
6. Re-enable on your Mac
7. When that's done, re-enable (or re-install) on the next device, repeat for subsequent devices.

Does that fix it?

It's not uncommon to see a few syncs back and forth, but it shouldn't be stuck in a loop.
WPaJim
Dive Computer: PerdexAI/Teric

Post by WPaJim »

Strange indeed.
Already had turned off syncing on my iPhone and IPad a while ago.
Opened up MacDive on my Mac, syncing actually seemed to go normally, no looping.
Turned on syncing on my iPhone, it appears to be working correctly.

So I didn't try resetting cloud data at this time.

Jim
ScubaMike
Dive Computer: Perdix AI

Post by ScubaMike »

Those stepped worked for me
Jean-Francois

Post by Jean-Francois »

Those steps seem to work for me too so far.

Weird thing : when the syncing was done on my mac, the highlighted dive was not the last one (as selected when the syncing started) but it jumped to the one before the last.
Jean-Francois

Post by Jean-Francois »

I've downloaded a new dive and tried to resync all and it's working fine. So far so good.
Thanks for the work around.