GPS Coordinates for Dive sites

Problems ? Get help here!
x5pack
Dive Computer: Oceanic VT4

GPS Coordinates for Dive sites

Post by x5pack »

Hi There,

happily using MacDive since a while and now wanted to start adding GPS coordinates to my dive locations. Unfortunately I did not find any hint for the proper format which is accepted by the program ... can somebody help with the proper syntax? Many thanks in advance and apologies in case I have been blind not finding an already existing topic here :) :) :)

Joerg
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: GPS Coordinates for Dive sites

Post by nick »

Make sure you are on the latest version (2.8.2) which fixes some issues where coordinates weren't accepted in various formats, and then most things should work.

There is some info in the iOS user guide about various coordinate formats, all of which are supported on macOS:

http://mac-dive.com/help/ios_03_02_gps.php
diverchuck
Dive Computer: Atomic Cobalt 2

Post by diverchuck »

I'm trying to add GPS coordinates to my dive locations and what ever format I use, doesn't work. I have tried the following coordinates with no luck: 34° 45′ 55.08″ N, 75° 47′ 0.6″ W and 34.7653, -75.7835. I am using v2.11.3. Also the link you provided does not work, "The requested URL was not found on this server."
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

I created a new site, selected and opened the site inspector, went to the Map tab and pasted your coordinates. Both formats are accepted. The location moved to what I assume is your dive site.

Note that if there is no dive site assigned you can't edit the coordinates on the Dive Inspector, as there's no site to assign the coordinates to (to avoid automatically creating lots of redundant sites). It's better to create a site and assign the location, then assign that site to the dive.

As for the link, yes, they changed from time to time. I should rewrite that to maintain consistent links but the user guide isn't so large you can't find that info. That's also specific to iOS which works a little differently so it isn't directly relevant anyway. I think the issue you're facing is just what I've described above.