Problems ? Get help here!
sroveson
Dive Computer: Hollis TX1

Hollis TX1 Transfer issues

Post by sroveson »

I'm getting the following error when I try to download my recent dives:

----
MacDive encountered a problem downloading from your Hollis TX1:
Failed connecting to dive computer on serial port '/dev/tty.usbserial-20030001' (Error Code: -7)
----

At first the serial port wasn't showing up so I fought with it, rebooting the computer a couple of times and reinstalling the FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_3 but the serial port final showed up in the preferences. I selected it, plugged in my dive computer, and thought it was going to work...but then got the above message.

No idea what to try next. Is there a pattern for plugging in the DC vs starting the MacDive software? It's a bit frustrating to not be able to get my dives off in a quick, easy, uncomplicated manner...

HELP?!?
sroveson

Re: Hollis TX1 Transfer issues

Post by sroveson »

And now it's back to not seeing any serial port...again. Maddening...
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Hello,

The most common causes of this error are either that you have a low battery, the cable is plugged in upside down (to the dive computer). I forget what a TX1 connector looks like, but double-check that. For example on a Pro Plus 3, the cable fits both ways but it will only work one particular way - very frustrating when you first encounter it. The other issue is forgetting to enable PC mode, but I'm pretty sure the TX1 does that automatically.

Another issue is wet contacts. Some models will not download correctly if the contacts are wet, so make sure it is dry.

Note that the dive computer doesn't even have to be plugged in for you to "see" the serial port. If you are seeing that appear and disappear intermittently, I would suspect there is an issue with the cable. You could try a different USB port, and avoid using a USB hub. I would also try unplugging it for a minute, then plugging it back in.

The TX1 works like a number of other devices and is actually pretty reliable. By far the most common issues are battery/cables.
sroveson

Post by sroveson »

The cable connector is domed on one side so you cannot put it in upside down. (It's me proof...)

The battery says it is "good".

Today I went to DL 4 more dives and it only brought in 3!!! Said that the import was done and would not get that 4th dive imported. Note: It was the 1st of a 4 dive series, 2 yesterday morning and two this morning. No way to get MacDive to get that dive uploaded. It was there in my log. I double checked.

I ended up pulling that dive from my back-up Sherwood Wisdom 3...which, FYI, uses the SAME CABLE as the Hollis TX1. Anyone wanting a nice back-up computer for rec diving to their Hollis I highly recommend that inexpensive (street price about $450 for an air integrated DC) Sherwood Wisdom 3 as you can use the same cable to DL if you can't get the data from your finicky Hollis TX1.

Thanks!
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Most likely you have the sample rate on your TX1 set really high, like 2 secs, and the dives had to overwrite. The FAQ explains this, and applies directly to the TX1:

http://mac-dive.com/help/faq_01_03_missing.php

A lot of these similar devices can only hold the profiles of 3-4 dives at that sample rate, they have very small capacities. You either need to download more frequently or drop the sample rate to 15 or something, and you'll be able to store a lot more.

If you compare, I suspect the TX1 and your Sherwood will have very different sample rates set.