MacDive iOS App UX thread

MacDive for iPhone. Feedback, requests, bug reports.. let us know!
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: MacDive iOS App UX thread

Post by nick »

ffff wrote: - Support for multiple divers on the "Dives" tab. I import data for both my wife and I. I had to create smart logs for each of us to separate us out on the Dives tab.
- To that end, I'd even go as far as saying the "Profile" tab could be eliminated by simply adding "Diver" to one of the tabs along with Tags & Smart Logs. The diver's profile information could then be moved to the "..." at the top of the screen.
We're looking in to how best to filter between divers.
- (Mostly) Read-only mode? Or lock/unlock data? The primary utility in the iOS app for me is portable reference. Considering I import all dive data from my computer, the ability to create/delete dives, gear, sites, etc can only lead to something I don't want happening. I do like that there's a confirmation for deleting something (having separate options in each area seems counter-intuitive to me, vs a simple "confirm before deletions" under the main settings). Maybe more experienced/frequent divers find more utility in being able to edit things from the phone, but since MacDive requires that I'm at my computer already- I'd expect most people to be doing all the major edits there.
Personally I think this is unnecessary. You can always just not edit or delete things, right? If you're having trouble accidentally doing so, then perhaps we can make some more targeted adjustments.

There are a lot of people who edit things on the go, and even if you need your Mac to download profiles, there are still a bunch of useful features (auto merging manual data with downloaded profiles, location tracking, etc). Maybe they're not interesting to you but they're very popular in general.

Cheers
ffff
Dive Computer: Oceanic Geo 2

Post by ffff »

nick wrote: to how best to filter between divers.
- (Mostly) Read-only mode? Or lock/unlock data? The primary utility in the iOS app for me is portable reference. Considering I import all dive data from my computer, the ability to create/delete dives, gear, sites, etc can only lead to something I don't want happening. I do like that there's a confirmation for deleting something (having separate options in each area seems counter-intuitive to me, vs a simple "confirm before deletions" under the main settings). Maybe more experienced/frequent divers find more utility in being able to edit things from the phone, but since MacDive requires that I'm at my computer already- I'd expect most people to be doing all the major edits there.
Personally I think this is unnecessary. You can always just not edit or delete things, right? If you're having trouble accidentally doing so, then perhaps we can make some more targeted adjustments.

There are a lot of people who edit things on the go, and even if you need your Mac to download profiles, there are still a bunch of useful features (auto merging manual data with downloaded profiles, location tracking, etc). Maybe they're not interesting to you but they're very popular in general.
True, and again, maybe more experienced and frequent divers find themselves needing that sort of functionality more than I do. I also didn't realize it could merge manual & downloaded data. I can certainly see the utility in marking a dive site via GPS or entering something like weights or air consumption from a dive before you forget. I threw that info into Notes until I got home and downloaded data off the computer.

Now I need to go diving again to try that out.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

In the last update the "New Dive" entry was significantly enhanced to let you record buddies, gear, notes, the site, etc. It makes use of any tracked locations, or you can assign a site manually, all that kind of thing. You can fill out a dive using the info from a previous dive, etc.

And the equivalent Desktop update added a feature to merge. MacDive for Mac will automatically check for dives that can be merged after a download (assuming you synced the iPhone stuff first). You can manually initiate it also. This is explained in more detail in the help:

http://mac-dive.com/help/mac_02_05_merging.php

I find it's much more useful than manually typing stuff in to notes, which is what I also used to do. The location tracking makes this even better, as if you've dived a site before and have tracking enabled it will suggest that site to you. As above, maybe some of this is useful for you and some isn't, but I think the editing features are powerful and important. I agree that bulk editing is best done on the Mac, but I find myself needing to bulk edit less these days when I'm adding stuff before I get home.
Socke
Dive Computer: OSTC 2N

Post by Socke »

Hi Jamie,
at first I'd like to say thank you for your great encouragement and work.

I found a little issue when I tried to edit my profile. When you tap the edit button to make any changes the name of the diver occurs in white letters on white ground. First I thought I have to write my name again but than realized that the cursor stood not at the beginning of the name field but at the end of my name. Only it wasnt readable.

Greets, Steffan
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Hi,

I have fixed this for the next version. Sorry about that. If it is causing you problems please contact me via email and I'll get you a TestFlight beta.

Thanks,
-nick
Socke
Dive Computer: OSTC 2N

Post by Socke »

Hi Nick, thanks for your great work. Don't worry I'll wait for the next update. :)
Jean-Francois
Dive Computer: Perdix

Post by Jean-Francois »

I was wondering if it would be possible to have more customizability (not sure about that word but you get the idea) on the pages shown in the app.

When selecting a particular dive you have 5 tabs (Profile, map, tanks/gas/gear, Diver/buddy, Photos) on top. Then each tab gives you some basic info and some are "hidden". Example : on the Tank/gas/gear tab you see the computer used, the gas used and the gear. Since I need more info I tap on the computer then I see the CCR related info and then tap edit to finally see the time I used my sorb. So that is basically 3 "clicks" to get to the info I need.

My suggestion would be that one could choose what field to be seen when clicking on any tab (much like you can do with the menu on the bottom of the app). In my example, I would get rid of the Dive computer field and the gear field to put the CCR related fields, the weights and the decompression algorithm.

My guess is that it must be a huge undertaking and there are probably more important things to add/do. And it's not like I cannot get to the info I want anyway. But just my two cents to make this app even greater.

I've completely abandoned my paper log book since you guys released the mobile app. It's a great app. Keep up the great work.