Merging Data

Problems ? Get help here!
JerryA
Dive Computer: OSTC 2n

Merging Data

Post by JerryA »

Hi,

Am I right in thinking that I can't merge Data. For instance, I take my iPhone to the site with me. After a couple of dives I input some basic detail, location time (ish) and comments. When I get home I transfer those basic details to Mac dive on the mac. Then I plug in my dive computer and download those dives. Will I end up with duplicate dives? If so I would like to be able to merge them. Is it possible?

Regards

Jerry.
Twan77
Dive Computer: Suunto Vyper Air

Re: Merging Data

Post by Twan77 »

Yes this is possible but you need to do it the other way around. I use this all the time and works great.
You need to enter whatever information you want when on the divesite on your phone.

When you get home, do not sync your phone to Macdive, but first download the information from your dive computer into Macdive, and after that sync your phone.

When the dive time (start time) of a dive in Macdive and on your phone is within 2 minutes it will see it as the same dive, and merge them.

Look over here for more info:

http://www.mac-dive.com/help/index.php? ... e_Log_Sync
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Thanks Twan. This is correct. I am working on a solution for going the other way.
JerryA
Dive Computer: OSTC 2n

Post by JerryA »

Twan77 wrote:Yes this is possible but you need to do it the other way around. I use this all the time and works great.
You need to enter whatever information you want when on the divesite on your phone.

When you get home, do not sync your phone to Macdive, but first download the information from your dive computer into Macdive, and after that sync your phone.

When the dive time (start time) of a dive in Macdive and on your phone is within 2 minutes it will see it as the same dive, and merge them.

Look over here for more info:

http://www.mac-dive.com/help/index.php? ... e_Log_Sync
That's great thanks very much.
taylorharris50

Post by taylorharris50 »

This seems needlessly complicated and error prone. I did the steps in the wrong order and the software erased my site locations with the ones from the iPhone that had no data in them.

I think the issue is not having a dedicated MacDive app and utilization of Dropbox or iCloud for data sync.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Did you verify the changes prior to clicking "Sync" ?

The root problem here is that Dive Log handles sites in a very, very different way to MacDive. We do the best we can, and in the general case it works ok. There are edge cases that are non-trivial to resolve, however. I'm working on improving it, and should have something shortly.