OS X 10.7 Lion and beyond..

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: OS X 10.7 Lion and beyond..

Post by nick »

Check the help on how to backup/restore your data. It's there, Library is just hidden by default. The help explains how to find it.

(In the next release, there is a button in the preferences to open the Finder in the right place to solve this issue).
Centurion
Dive Computer: Helo2 & D9TX

Post by Centurion »

Centurion wrote: (trimmed)
The genuine Suunto cable that came with the Helio2, whilst recognized by Lion when I plug it in, doesn't create a character/serial device in "/dev" so MacDive can't use it. Might need to hunt down a driver - anyone else had any luck with the genuine Suunto cables?
Answered my own question, so thought I'd share the update. First of all the genuine Suunto cable is identified as a "Suunto Sports Instrument" when plugged in and inspecting it through the System Information app reveals:

Suunto Sports Instrument:

Code: Select all

Product ID:     0xf680
Vendor ID:    	0x0403  (Future Technology Devices International Limited)
Version:	      4.00
Serial Number:	ST000001
Speed:          Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer:	  Suunto
Location ID:	  0x04100000 / 2
Current Available (mA):	500
Current Required (mA):	300
After about 30 seconds of googling for "future technology devices international limited mac driver" yields the drivers direct from the manufacturer who is seemingly supporting OSX with up-to-date drivers: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

I installed the "FTDIUSBSerialDriver_10_4_10_5_10_6_10_7.pkg" contained in the "FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_18.dmg" driver download on my OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.2 system. After the installer was complete, without even needing to reboot, I simply plugged in the Suunto cable and told Macdive to use /dev/tty.usbserial-ST000001. Voila!

So in summary, the following combination is confirmed operational on both my 27" iMac (mid-2011, Core i5) and 13" Macbook Pro (mid-2010, Core2 Duo): EDIT: Forgot to mention, FTDI have an install guide for the OSX Driver too.
Last edited by Centurion on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

The driver is also linked directly off the website -

http://www.mac-dive.com/devices.php

:)
Centurion

Post by Centurion »

Nick, so what you're saying is, I wasted 10 minutes of my life because you've already done the leg work?! DERP! Thanks :)
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Well, I was trying to be slightly more tactful, but.. that's how us Kiwi's roll!

It's always nice to hear that things are working as expected, though, so cheers for the report.
Centurion

Post by Centurion »

Hahah - s'ok! I was just contemplating how I typically jump to figuring it out on my own before seeing if anyone else has done the hard work for me! Keep up the awesome work on MacDive mate. Greetings from Australia.
DoctorJB
Dive Computer: Suunto D6i

Post by DoctorJB »

I am trying to install the suggested driver for my prolific USB-SERIAL cable. I am getting the error:

/System/Library/Extensions/osx-pl2303.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) authentication failure (file ownership/permissions); check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

Since I am pretty clueless about linux/lunix, any help would be appreciated. Note that I 'manually' copied the *.kext file to the extension directory
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

The permissions need to be correct. Why did you manually copy it? The installer takes care of this for you, specifically to avoid these kind of issues.

Remove what you copied there and use the installer. If you look back through this thread there is a post that contains the driver, but in the comments it links to someone who has created a better installer. I had more success with that one.
Butiki
Dive Computer: Reefnet Sensus

Post by Butiki »

Centurion wrote:Vendor ID: 0x0403 (Future Technology Devices International Limited)

I installed the "FTDIUSBSerialDriver_10_4_10_5_10_6_10_7.pkg" contained in the "FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_18.dmg" driver download on my OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.2 system. After the installer was complete, without even needing to reboot, I simply plugged in the Suunto cable and told Macdive to use /dev/tty.usbserial-ST000001. Voila!
I have the $54 cable from Thomas Rehm (Poseitec) and the ZOOP. It took me a couple of hours of searching, fruitless trial and error, testing, manual reading (GASP!), and then I finally stumbled upon the quoted bit right here. So for anyone with the ZOOP/Poseitec combination:
  • Install Poseitec's FTDI driver.
  • KEY - Go to About This Mac in the Apple menu. Click on More Info and then System Report. Under USB in the Hardware list, identify the Serial Number associated with "Future Technology Devices International Limited".
  • Go to MacDive Preferences > Advanced panel.
  • KEY - Hit the Scan button and choose the serial port that contains the aforementioned Serial Number. Mine was "Pt032013", just for reference. Close MacDive Preferences.
  • Select Download Dives (Cmd-D), and select your dive computer type (e.g., Suunto ZOOP), as well as scope of dives you want to import. Click Import button.
  • Breathe sigh of relief.
  • KEY - Slap the clown who talked you into buying the Suunto, with its intuitive PC SET functionality and reasonably-priced, readily available USB interface. It just couldn't be easier!
ke6nyt
Dive Computer: Suunto Cobra family

Post by ke6nyt »

I am using Yosemite and I have a Suunto EON Steel and with the new MacDive update it works great. Just wanted you to know that I have it working. We have: 1) Suunto Cobra 2, 2) Suunto Cobra 3s, 1) Suunto D4I, and 1) Suunto EON Steel and they all work with Macdive.

Thank you!

Dan, Justin, and Jess