Deleting sites

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
robindoran
Dive Computer: Vyper

Deleting sites

Post by robindoran »

Hi,

I have a number of "New Sites" and "Unknown Sites" with no associated dives that I am unable to remove.

I'd like to know how to remove sites, locations and Counties that is no longer needed.

My setup is MacDive 2.1.9 on Mac OSX Lion. I migrated to MacDive from Sunnto's dive manager via the import mechanism which led to some problems with Site names, as I've tried to tidy up and fix spellings I've ended up with three types of site, location and country that have no dives but I can't delete.

1 "Unknown Country, Unknown location, Unknown site"
5 "New Country, New Location, New site"
2 "Blank, Blank, Blank"

See screen shot
Attachments
Example of sites that I cannot delete
Example of sites that I cannot delete
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Deleting sites

Post by nick »

Select them and File -> Delete Selected, or Option+Delete.
robindoran
Dive Computer: Vyper

Post by robindoran »

That worked, thanks.

Before posting I tried the context menu and Edit menu items without luck, wouldn't have considered file.

Also, sorry for posting in general and not support, thanks for answering.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

I was actually thinking of moving it to Edit the other day, as it's not the first time this has come up (delete not being in edit, for various things you can delete).

It probably makes more sense there.
Taniwha
Dive Computer: Shearwater Perdix AI

Post by Taniwha »

nick wrote:I was actually thinking of moving it to Edit the other day, as it's not the first time this has come up (delete not being in edit, for various things you can delete).

It probably makes more sense there.
You need to make the delete procedure more consistent across the whole program. I googled onto this page trying to work out how to delete an unknown site. OK, I thought, so now I know how this program works. As I next wanted to delete an individual photograph from a dive, I selected the photograph (and it was rimmed with blue), then selected "delete selected item". It deleted the whole friggin dive!! No confirmation dialogue, and no way to undo the delete!!!!
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

You can use Edit >Undo. However sometimes you need to undo a couple of times - I have a TODO to fix this in particular for deleting dives.

Sorry for the inconvenience and inconsistent behaviour. We will look in to it.

Thanks.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Quick update. The issue with Undo wasn't that you couldn't Undo at all, it was that sometimes Undo was disabled in the menu based on what was "in focus" in the app. This is fixed in the update I just released.

I didn't fix the photo deletion specifically (that's trickier due to how things work, a long, boring story which I won't go in to) - but at least Undo works a lot more reliably now so it can be recovered from.

I'm sorry about the hassle. Hopefully you managed to recover the dive, and hopefully in the future it's a simple case of hitting undo as you would expect.