Camera time error correction.

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
GKirkaldie
Dive Computer: Suunto D9, Reefnet

Camera time error correction.

Post by GKirkaldie »

Here's one I ran into recently..

I auto-imported some pictures and got an error that a few pics weren't added since they had no time/date match. Weird, but there could have been a reason.

Then I looked at the graph and noticed that some pictures I had taken were at the wrong depth. It was a V shaped dive, and the same object was at 50' and 70' on either side of the V..

So I deduced that the time must have been off, sure enough there was a few minutes difference between the dive computer and the camera clock. I deleted the photos and edited the time stamp of the photos then re-imported, everything was fine, and the original ones that didn't get imported were now imported, and the other pics were now at same depth.

So, if I had known the two clocks were off and there was a function to add an offset into the import dialog, everything would have been fine.

Best solution, make sure the 2 clocks are in sync before the dive :-)
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Camera time error correction.

Post by nick »

This has been mentioned before. I would like to add maybe a slider to adjust the camera time by X minutes or something like that.
gjc999
Dive Computer: Pro 2.1

Post by gjc999 »

I second the idea of a slider or something that I can adjust on both the entire photo set and on a per-image basis if possible. I often find myself combining images from two or more cameras from others in my groups, and trying to get all those cameras in sync before a dive just doesn't happen. If I had to choose one feature though, the slider that moves the entire photo set forward/backward in time would be fantastic.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

It's pretty straightforward to apply an offset to the match - I have two dates that I'm comparing so it is simply a matter of adding some number of minutes/hours to one of them before the comparison.

The real trick here is how to include it in the UI nicely and make things easy to use. I will have a think on how to incorporate it (not for this update unfortunately) and see what I can get going.
GKirkaldie
Dive Computer: Suunto D9, Reefnet

Post by GKirkaldie »

This is the dialog from HoudahGeo...

Something similar maybe. With this dialog, I just hit enter if there is no correction
Attachments
Screen Shot 2011-08-26 at 5.58.20 AM.png
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Ah cool, yeah. Something along those lines would do the job nicely.

I'd actually like to enhance the overall support for images so you could include captions, too.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Ok.. I couldn't sleep. So I added something in for this. When you open up the auto-add panel, you will get the option to apply an offset for hours, minutes and seconds.

It's not ideal - if you didn't know the exact offset then there would be a bit of trial and error with adding the images and changing it, then retrying. But at least the basic option is there, and less annoying than manually changing a bunch of dates in the EXIF.
Diverep
Dive Computer: Cobalt & Others

Post by Diverep »

what would happen if all items were put to UTC and then location correction entered for the time zone dives were done in ? Example would be to set my computer / camera to UTC and then on each trip I could enter the local Vs. UTC time. Depending on daylight savings here in the USA ?
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Probably not much. It's just a basic offset/adjustment.