Importing dives from Suunto Vyper Air not working anymore

Problems ? Get help here!
Twan77
Dive Computer: Suunto Vyper Air

Importing dives from Suunto Vyper Air not working anymore

Post by Twan77 »

Hi Nick,

i'm trying to import dives from my Suunto Vyper Air, but every time i get the following error message:

Failed connecting to dive computer on serial port '/dev/tty.usbserial-ST000001' (Error Code: -4)

In preferences, Macdive also says there is no serial port found.

I have recently imported other dives from this Vyper, and that works (except dive numbering, but that's a little thing)

Can you tell me how to get my new dives imported?

Just to let you know, i also a few days ago installed Suunto DiveManager on my Mac. Could this be the cause of the problems?
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Importing dives from Suunto Vyper Air not working anymor

Post by nick »

Twan77 wrote:Hi Nick,

i'm trying to import dives from my Suunto Vyper Air, but every time i get the following error message:

Failed connecting to dive computer on serial port '/dev/tty.usbserial-ST000001' (Error Code: -4)

In preferences, Macdive also says there is no serial port found.
If MacDive is failing to connect on that serial port, then it has found the serial port. So preferences can't say "no serial port found". They both use the same way to find that port - so it is one or the other. Either you can't connect on the port, OR it doesn't exist. But not both.

I have recently imported other dives from this Vyper, and that works (except dive numbering, but that's a little thing)
What is wrong with the dive numbering? I would need to take a look at a dump of your device and your MacDive data file to investigate any problem. A few people have been complaining about this lately, but nothing has changed in regard to it. It works the same way it has for multiple versions. I'm sure there is some obscure little problem somewhere, but I've yet to track it down.

Can you tell me how to get my new dives imported?

Just to let you know, i also a few days ago installed Suunto DiveManager on my Mac. Could this be the cause of the problems?
I don't know, I haven't seen any Mac compatible suunto software. Did they finally release something? It is unlikely that would stop anything working, but you never know.

Still, the most common fix for Vyper Air downloads is just to try importing a couple of times. They often fail to wake up correctly and you need to import a couple of times to get it working.
Twan77

Post by Twan77 »

nick wrote:
If MacDive is failing to connect on that serial port, then it has found the serial port. So preferences can't say "no serial port found". They both use the same way to find that port - so it is one or the other. Either you can't connect on the port, OR it doesn't exist. But not both.

What is wrong with the dive numbering? I would need to take a look at a dump of your device and your MacDive data file to investigate any problem. A few people have been complaining about this lately, but nothing has changed in regard to it. It works the same way it has for multiple versions. I'm sure there is some obscure little problem somewhere, but I've yet to track it down.

I don't know, I haven't seen any Mac compatible suunto software. Did they finally release something? It is unlikely that would stop anything working, but you never know.

Still, the most common fix for Vyper Air downloads is just to try importing a couple of times. They often fail to wake up correctly and you need to import a couple of times to get it working.
Hi Nick,

yes it did find the serial port in the past. I just now read on the help file that this is something you only have to do once, so that should be ok. So i just can't connect to the port then.

Yes, Suunto finally released DM4 for Mac :-) but that's not near as nice as Macdive since it simply has almost no functions, only some profile views of the dives.

The numbering problem was this. I already had 6 dives in Macdive when i bought the Vyper. When importing the first 2 dives it numbered them 1 and 2 (instead of 7 and 8). Macdive also created the Vyper in the gear section. There i put in that it should start numbering from 7, and clicked on "renumber". But still the numbers of the 2 dives were 1 and 2. But you can very simply change that to the correct number, so no big problem.

I tried importing several times, jiggled the cable, disconnected it and then connected it again and tried again, but still no luck...
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Twan77 wrote: The numbering problem was this. I already had 6 dives in Macdive when i bought the Vyper. When importing the first 2 dives it numbered them 1 and 2 (instead of 7 and 8). Macdive also created the Vyper in the gear section. There i put in that it should start numbering from 7, and clicked on "renumber". But still the numbers of the 2 dives were 1 and 2. But you can very simply change that to the correct number, so no big problem.
Are you sure you aren't looking at the Repetitive Dive Number, instead of Dive Number?
I tried importing several times, jiggled the cable, disconnected it and then connected it again and tried again, but still no luck...
Can you please follow the stickied instructions for reporting download problems, using the "vyper2" test, and email me the results.
Twan77

Post by Twan77 »

Hi Nick,

started to get you the info, and then i saw the problem! In the terminal, the serial bus wasn't there. I guess it got lost when upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion!

Re-installed the driver, and then tried again. Now the dives where imported! (and the numbering was also ok)

So probably upgrading OSX makes you lose the driver or something....

Thanks again for the support!
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Ah, ok. Yeah this is mentioned around the place I think - it seems the upgrade can cause issues with the driver.

I hadn't installed it before I installed Lion, so I didn't have an issue (though Lion did somehow destroy my windows partition). Glad you got it working!
fap76
Dive Computer: Suunto Viper

Post by fap76 »

Hello,

"If MacDive is failing to connect on that serial port, then it has found the serial port. So preferences can't say "no serial port found". They both use the same way to find that port - so it is one or the other. Either you can't connect on the port, OR it doesn't exist. But not both. "

I had exactly the same problem yersterday (failing to connect, error -4, and no serial port found), and I think that's because there is a problem on OSX "between" USB and Serial Port.

I've found a topic here (in French, sorry) with a solution :
http://www.plongeur.com/forums/showthre ... ost1048351

Look at the second answer, from Labrax :
You have to download and install this programm (that I've found here : http://tech.yostengineering.com/servoFo ... earchterm=).
I use a MacBookPro with OSX 10.7.2 and now it works perfectly !!

:-)
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

That link appears to go to the standard FTDI driver, which is fine if you use the official cable (and is actually listed on MacDive's webpage under Supported Devices).

If you choose a serial port in "Scan for serial port" then this is saved as a preference. What may have happened is there was an upgrade to Lion, and the USB driver was not kept (this has been reported). In which case, if you'd saved the name of the serial port, it would still try and connect on that as an override, even though it didn't exist and wouldn't show up.

So I would try reinstalling the appropriate driver. Not necessarily the one linked in the post above, but the correct one for your cable - see http://www.mac-dive.com/devices.php