Ability to relocate the database

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
salomaaj
Dive Computer: Stinger

Ability to relocate the database

Post by salomaaj »

I'd love to see the ability to relocate the database elsewhere from it's original location. This way one could read/write the database on multiple computers if database is saved in a shared location - Dropbox just for an example.
lionel
Dive Computer: Mares Puck

Re: Ability to relocate the database

Post by lionel »

salomaaj wrote:I'd love to see the ability to relocate the database elsewhere from it's original location. This way one could read/write the database on multiple computers if database is saved in a shared location - Dropbox just for an example.
Be careful with that kind of request. There are many technical reasons why this is actually dangerous, the way MacDive is currently implemented. For one, the underlying database does not support concurrent access to data: two people modifying dives at the same time could result in corruption. Similarly, putting the db file on a network drive could also result in corruption, because network drives do not behave exactly like local ones. For all these reasons, implementing this would require extensive rewrite of MacDive - I'm sure Nick can substantiate that much better than me.

HTH,

Lionel
henrik
Dive Computer: Petrel + Predator

Re: Ability to relocate the database

Post by henrik »

salomaaj wrote:I'd love to see the ability to relocate the database elsewhere from it's original location. This way one could read/write the database on multiple computers if database is saved in a shared location - Dropbox just for an example.
You can do this manually already: just create a symlink.