New Release - iOS 1.4.0

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

New Release - iOS 1.4.0

Post by nick »

Hey there,

I have released a new version of MacDive for iOS. MacDive has had its own custom dark/light mode option for a while, prior to iOS 13. With iOS 13 I've made an adjustment to add a new display option, which is now the default. This is "Auto", and means MacDive will use light or dark mode based on your iOS preference rather than defaulting to dark mode as it used to. Hopefully this isn't too annoying. While we always preferred the dark mode and that's how it was designed, it felt more natural to match the iOS setting. You can still go to settings and override it to always be dark (or light) to match the old behaviour, and hopefully this means you can have the app styled however you like.

As a bonus, I did a bunch of work tidying up the light mode display in particular which had a few rough edges. I think it's a bunch nicer now. A bunch of time was also spent trying to make sure various screens updated dynamically when the mode changed - some already did this, but there were a number of places that didn't. If you run in to any issues here let me know.

Changelog -
  • Added support for the Aqualung i200C (Bluetooth)
  • Added ability to sort the gear picker (when adding gear to dives)
  • Improved iOS 13 support
  • Added an automatic style option to match iOS dark/light mode
  • Much improved light mode design and icons
  • Read PPO2 from OSTC devices in Open Circuit mode
  • Various UI tweaks and improvements
  • Fixed a couple of minor issues joining dives
  • Fixed some minor issues reading/writing UDDF files
  • Fixed issue reading incomplete EON Steel/D5 dives
  • Fixed issue with flags not appearing in certain cases on iOS 13
Shadallark
Dive Computer: Mares Wrist Puck

Re: New Release - iOS 1.4.0

Post by Shadallark »

Hi Nick;

Thanks for the update; as usual it is great.

Since you asked for feedback on the switching from light to dark or vice-versa I thought I would let you know that the profile thumbnails of recently logged dives do not always update when you switch between modes. If I switch views (ie. change divers, go to gear and back, etc.) the profile thumbnails update. This seems to happen when switching from Auto to dark, or light to dark, but updates correctly going from dark to light. Let me know if you want any screen captures of this effect.

Keep up the great work; we appreciate it very much!

Shadallark
The MacDs
New Brunswick, Canada

Family of Mares Puck and Aqualung i300c users
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Could you? Or at least some explicit steps to reproduce?

I assume you're referring to the iPad Dashboard thumbnails. I tried it out quickly this morning and it appeared to toggle as I expected, so I'm not sure if I'm just not looking in the right place or not tapping on the right things. If you had some specific steps that show this, happy to take a further look.
Shadallark

Post by Shadallark »

Hi Nick;

I sent you an email with the screen shots and my steps to cause them.

On a side note, I just noticed that the apps (iPhone and iPad mini 2) and Mac version of the software have removed all of our previous certifications. We track all four of our family members in the software and each have two or three certifications. While updating information on our most recently acquired certifications we noticed that all previous certifications are removed and only the most recent one for each of us remains. Any way to get the other certifications back?

Edit: It appears that it is just the certifications for the three of us who added our most recent certifications using the iPhone / iPad app. My oldest child who has not added his new Advanced Open Water Certification is still showing his Open Water and Zombie Apocalypse Diver certifications; the rest of us only show our Advanced Open Water Certifications.

Have a great day!

Shadallark
The MacDs
New Brunswick, Canada

nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Cheers. Have replied to your mail :)
Shadallark

Post by Shadallark »

Good day to all of you;

After some further analysis it appears that our children accidentally deleted some certifications and some gear when they were updating their dive information thinking that they were removing the information from their dives not from the whole program... oops. Luckily we still had one computer that we had not synchronized recently so it still had the information, so we could reset our cloud sync and use it as the primary to setup for the new cloud sync.

Have a great day everyone!

Shadallark
The MacDs
New Brunswick, Canada

jmorby
Dive Computer: Teric

Post by jmorby »

Shadallark wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:57 pm Good day to all of you;

After some further analysis it appears that our children accidentally deleted some certifications and some gear when they were updating their dive information thinking that they were removing the information from their dives not from the whole program... oops. Luckily we still had one computer that we had not synchronized recently so it still had the information, so we could reset our cloud sync and use it as the primary to setup for the new cloud sync.

Have a great day everyone!

Shadallark
I confess it would be nice to be able to rescue an accidental deletion ... perhaps adding a "deleted" flag to each database record which greys out the entry until you execute a "purge deleted items" command ... a bit like the way IMAP works (for example)
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

There is Edit > Undo on macOS, otherwise make sure you take a regular backup and be careful about deleting stuff.
jmorby
Dive Computer: Teric

Post by jmorby »

nick wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:32 am There is Edit > Undo on macOS, otherwise make sure you take a regular backup and be careful about deleting stuff.
In this instance Undo didn’t work (see my other post about deleting an image from a record only to find the whole dive was deleted / vanished)

Reverting to saved is one option I guess ... and backups are also definitely something that needs work to simplify on MacOS ( I guess it’s just a case of backing up the SQLite dB?)
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

You should use Time Machine or some generic backup, I will not be building a custom backup in to MacDive. There are plenty of solutions to this problem that don't require specific handling in one app.