Meaning of the different fields on the Critters screen

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
Shadallark
Dive Computer: Mares Wrist Puck

Meaning of the different fields on the Critters screen

Post by Shadallark »

Good day to all of you;

My apologies for asking what I am guessing is a silly question but I could not find the answer in the User Guide nor when I searched the forums.

I am not sure if I missed it previously or if it was always there and I did not know what it is for but what is the Category field used to indicate? Currently here is how I am using the fields; if this is not what they are intended for I would like to learn before I log too many critters (only logged 12 so far):
  • Name: I use this for recording the name of the critter; ie. Egg Yolk Jelly Fish
  • Species: I use this to record the species of the critter; ie. Jelly fish, or Anthozoa, or Octopus, etc.
  • Category: I am not sure what the intended use of this field is so I have not used it yet;
  • Average Size: as the name indicates; and
  • Notes: Any notes relevant to this critter
Thanks in advance for any assistance that you can provide.

Have fun diving everyone!

Shadallark
The MacDs
New Brunswick, Canada

Family of Mares Puck and Aqualung i300c users
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Meaning of the different fields on the Critters screen

Post by nick »

I would typically use Species for the scientific name, and Category for what you use for species (Nudibranchs, Crabs, etc).

The scientific name will also be used for the name if you leave the name blank, which is what I typically do for most things. But really, just use it however it works for you.