FAQ

MacDive for iPhone. Feedback, requests, bug reports.. let us know!
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

FAQ

Post by nick »

So far the most common question has been about images. By default, your Photos won't sync. Only images for your gear, certifications, etc. If you want to enable syncing of your Photos as well you can enable this under Preferences > Cloud on OS X, or Cloud Sync > Settings on iOS. This will then let your iPhone sync all of your photos.

This is disabled by default because some people have a ton of photos. Perhaps it would make more sense to have it enabled? Let us know what you think, we're happy to change this if the consensus is to have it on.

If you have any questions about the iPhone app then please let us know. Feel free to post here, I'll try and keep this up to date!
WPaJim
Dive Computer: PerdexAI/Teric

Re: FAQ

Post by WPaJim »

Lots of photos... that would be me. Tried to sync them but did't get them all on dropbox before it filled up. So I turned off sync photos but dropbox is still filled up.
Is this where I want to reset cloud data?

Thinking of a couple courses of action re to many photos.
Actually pay for dropbox - mmm no thanks
Weed out a bunch of not so good photos - sounds tedious
Remove them all, resize to smaller image, reload into MacDive - tempted to try this one, might take considerable processing time but I can do other stuff in the meantime.

One of the things I always wished in Dive Log was to be able to display photos.

Any thoughts?

Jim
Ken
Dive Computer: Shearwater Perdix AI

Post by Ken »

There are utilities out there that can do batch resizing of photos. For what that's worth. I do like having a lot of photos in MacDive on the iPhone, so when I either want to go over them myself or want to show someone pics from diving, I have really easy access to them in a gallery format. "Here are my dive pics from <x> trip."
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Hey mate,

No, don't reset the cloud data. It's easy enough to remove the photos, browse to your Dropbox folder (via Finder), go to Apps > MacDive > images, and from there you can delete whatever you like. Most likely just the Photos folder under that. Disable Photo syncing in both desktop/iPhone.

Note that even if you disable Photo syncing, it will still sync your Gear, Certification, Profile pics etc. The "Photos" option is just for actual Photos, specifically for cases like yours where you might have a lot.

I was speaking to someone else who has ~7,000 photos. We need to figure out the best way to handle this. One way is to possibly allow you to specify which photos to sync (which would need an interface etc). I'm open to suggestions.

You could resize them.. how big are they each? How many do you actually have? Paying for Dropbox is one thing, but keep in mind they would also take space on your iPhone.

One thing you could do is automate the process of resizing them. They're all stored in one place inside your MacDive folder on your Mac. I'd have to look around, but I would be surprised if there wasn't an automator action or application that could pretty much do this for you by dragging/dropping a folder. If you wanted to resize them, that is.

Potentially I could add an option to MacDive to do it, but I think it would be better to use a third party tool to do it properly.
Ken
Dive Computer: Shearwater Perdix AI

Post by Ken »

Just go to the Mac App Store and search for "photo resize". :)
WPaJim

Post by WPaJim »

Hadn't thought to do them in-situ in the MacDive data stores. That will work for me.
Was kind of wondering if MacDive did anything to reduce the size, guess not.
I use Lightroom and Graphic Converter, I'm sure one or the other of them will handle the batch resizing no problem
I am apparently up to 6203 photos according to the iPhone app. Still editing the last trip. ;)
However when I look at the MacDive Photos directory info: (25.47 GB on disk) for 10,021 items
Thanks all
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

I wonder if you have any old/duplicate items in there, or if that's counting folders as well. Lots of photos though, nice job :)

And no, MacDive doesn't mess with your photos, it just adds them as is. I tend to do an export from Aperture at a relatively small size and use those.

They don't need to be too massive to look great on a retina iPhone either. :)
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Also if you're really wanting to get those synced to the phone, I can give you a hand to save actually downloading them from the cloud (ie copy them over manually).
WPaJim

Post by WPaJim »

Thanks, I may take you up on the offer to manually move photos when I get around to being ready.
If I do have duplicates/old stuff, should I try optimize database?
But before I do there is another problem- I'll start a new thread.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

No. It won't hurt, but it's just a hook to let MacDive tidy up old/unused data more than anything.