MacDive on iPad

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
pmareschal
Dive Computer: Suunto Vytec

MacDive on iPad

Post by pmareschal »

iPad has a limited support for USB through the usb dock adapter. But there is an USB connector :-) .
It is conceivable to download dives from a dive computer to an iPad application (without any other computer).
Is the API sufficiently open to read data from a dive computer? Drivers should be fairly standard (usb-to-serial), and are may be included in iPad's OS.

What about more sophisticated dive computer with bluetooth connections?

Has anyone tried it yet?

/p
Jimb
Dive Computer: Mares ICON

Re: MacDive on iPad

Post by Jimb »

Dive Log is an iPad/iPhone app that can synch (sort of) with MacDive but AFAIK, does not directly directly synch with dive computers.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

That would be tricky. As far as I am aware, you have to be the original equipment manufacturer to be able to do that kind of interfacing on an iOS device.

Seems pretty unlikely it will happen, but you never know.
frogger
Dive Computer: Suunto D4

Post by frogger »

Personally I think it would be cool enough to just have a Macdive iPad app that I could sync my dive log data with and then once there manipulate it. I am still happy to connect my D4 to my Macbook Pro for downloads though it would be a blow away feature if you could sync your computer directly with the iPad. Or equally awesome would be if Macdive could upload it's database to an online location where other devices could share it, maybe even have a web based version that you could run in mobile Safari or download a local version to sync with an iPhone/iPad app. Not that we are asking for much hey Nick? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BTW - I know about and already use the Dive Log iPhone app and although it's pretty good it's not a particularly sleek solution. :)
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

I would like to have an online system where sites can be shared and rated etc, that kind of thing. A friend of mine was working on something, but he's since moved countries and started a new job so I think he's a little busy.

But it would be really nice to be able to share that kind of information, see others comments on dive sites etc.
ericvrp
Dive Computer: Suunto D4

Post by ericvrp »

Should be easy enough to ask users to automatically upload their divesite rating. If we could overlay that on a googgle maps somehow then there is very little the server-side has to take care of.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Yeah that's what I had in mind: basically the ratings for dives at that site automatically published, and just aggregated. Same way it's done in the app itself, but on a web page.

The trick would be merging all of the data together though - no doubt people would dive at the same site but name the country/location/site differently.

Then how do you deal with that? You could merge it server side (via an admin interface or some such), but the user wouldn't get those changes. Etc. :)
henrik
Dive Computer: Petrel + Predator

Post by henrik »

nick wrote:Yeah that's what I had in mind: basically the ratings for dives at that site automatically published, and just aggregated. Same way it's done in the app itself, but on a web page.

The trick would be merging all of the data together though - no doubt people would dive at the same site but name the country/location/site differently.

Then how do you deal with that? You could merge it server side (via an admin interface or some such), but the user wouldn't get those changes. Etc. :)
An online dive log would have been awesome. I'm unable to find a good dive log on the web that synchronizes with dive computers, so I guess this could be quite popular! Make an open API for it, so that other dive log software can sync to it as well, instant success!
henrik
Dive Computer: Petrel + Predator

Post by henrik »

How about supporting http://en.divelogs.de/ ? Many other software packages support it...
miraclemax
Dive Computer: xDeep Black EANx

Post by miraclemax »

henrik wrote:How about supporting http://en.divelogs.de/ ? Many other software packages support it...
I think you're asking the wrong person. It would be up to that website to adapt itself to MacDive and not the other way around. But then again, maybe Nick will want to talk to them...
Best dive ever :
My Dos Ojos Cenote Dive : http://vimeo.com/22533046