New computer - buy options

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
loser

New computer - buy options

Post by loser »

Greetings to all the community!
i am a new diver (PADI open water diver summer 09 and have been diving most of last summer) and even though i haven't bought almost anything else for diving (usually rent everything) i would like to buy a computer to keep track of all my dives (i am quite a tech guy).
Since i am an "amateur" diver i was looking something cheap and basic and obviously one that could be used with macdive.
I was looking the mares puck which i can find for about 150-200 euros (btw: do i have to buy a special interface cable for this one?).
Do you have any other computers to propose?
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: New computer - buy options

Post by nick »

There are a lot around, and the best advice I have is to buy the best one you can afford. If you think you'll do nitrox or some other gas in the future, make sure you have support for that. If you think you'll want a wireless transmitter in the future, buy a device that lets you buy that later.

It's cheaper to spend a little more and buy a better one now than upgrade the whole device later.

My 2c.
henrik
Dive Computer: Petrel + Predator

Post by henrik »

I'd recommend the Suntoo Zoop, you can get it for €188 at Scuba Store. You need a computer cable in addition, which is €34 from Custom Idea. The total price is slightly more than your target, but you end up with a solid computer with Nitrox and MacDive support.

The Mares Puck requires the Drak USB cable to connect it to a computer, which seems to be around €60.
honigferd
Dive Computer: D6, VyperAir, F10 V2

Post by honigferd »

nick wrote:If you think you'll want a wireless transmitter in the future, buy a device that lets you buy that later.
Although I can advise, if you do that, be careful how you attach the transmitter. Most of them are fairly large and it seems to be a common problem on boats that the staff is misusing them as handles. :(
Twitter - Web
CMAS** scuba diver / CMAS*** free diver