Possibility of Users Assisted Help Wiki?

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
Shadallark
Dive Computer: Mares Wrist Puck

Possibility of Users Assisted Help Wiki?

Post by Shadallark »

Hi Nick;

I feel that it is much more important to have you spending your time dealing with people's issues and feature requests rather than spending too much time creating help files for the software. What I am wondering is if you could set up a wiki somewhere and all of us users here could work on updating it with instructions on how to do all sorts of things in MacDive v 2.x?

I am involved in an OpenSource project hosted at SourceForge and have found that users are quite often willing to help with the documentation for programs they enjoy.

I would be glad to help populate a wiki once it is setup, and then you could link to that from the Help menu.

Just a thought.

Keep up the awesome work!

Shadallark
The MacDs
New Brunswick, Canada

Family of Mares Puck and Aqualung i300c users
kva
Dive Computer: Uwatec Aladin TEC 2G

Re: Possibility of Users Assisted Help Wiki?

Post by kva »

+1

Awesome idea.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Thanks to some prompting by Shadallark, this has been started.

It's user-editable, so feel free to pop by and add your own ideas, tips, tricks etc. It's very much in the beginning stages, and I'll work on this as I have time. The next version of MacDive links directly to this wiki under the help menu, so this will be the official source of documentation.

I much prefer the idea of an online help system as it means the app doesn't need to be patched to update documentation or FAQs.

Thanks Shadallark, for finally making me do this ;)

http://www.mac-dive.com/help/
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Are people finding this stuff helpful so far ?

I've been pointing people at it for troubleshooting downloads, as it saves me a whole lot of typing, but haven't heard much otherwise. Just curious if the info is in a useful format/style etc.