How to report dive computer download problems?

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
TnT
Dive Computer: many

How to report dive computer download problems?

Post by TnT »

If you have problems downloading from your device, your best bet is to email support (support@mac-dive.com). We can further advise you of whether we need additional information.

MacDive has a built-in diagnostic tool we may ask you to run, so the original instructions below are generally not needed. Most problems can be solved without either the diagnostic tool or the instructions below. Please email us first - be specific about the dive computer you are using, and the error message you are receiving. We get far too many emails consisting of simply "Hi it doesn't work". This is not helpful - dive computers work in various different ways, and error messages also help us narrow down the problem.

Please make sure you've checked out Troubleshooting Downloads in the User Guide, and also make sure you are choosing the correct manufacturer/model.

The original post is maintained below, but should almost never be required. Email us!

Cheers,
-nick

For downloading dives directly from a dive computer, macdive relies on the open source libdivecomputer library. Thus if you are experiencing a communication problem (timeouts, transfer protocol errors, etc) during the download, you should follow the procedure below to report your problem with all the information Nick and I need.

1. Download the test application.

Download the dctool test application, and save it to your desktop. Next, the application needs to be marked as executable. Open a terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal), and type:

Code: Select all

cd Desktop
chmod u+x dctool
2. Identify the correct dive computer.

Run the test application with the list option to print the list of supported devices:

./dctool list
Locate the correct dive computer name. If your dive computer is not listed, you can usually pick the correct one based on the other names in the list.

3. Identify the correct serial port.

If you haven't installed the necessary USB driver yet, download and install that before you continue.

Connect the serial or USB cable to your Mac. If necessary, activate the transfer mode of your device. Then type:

ls /dev/tty.*
You should see something like "/dev/tty.usbserial-st000001".

(Note that this "ls" command starts with a lower case letter "L".)

3. Run the test application.

Run the test application again with these options:

./dctool -v -l dctool.log -d "<divecomputer>" dump -o dctool.bin <serialport>
where you replace <divecomputer> with the correct dive computer name (e.g. "Suunto Vyper"), and <serialport> with the correct serial port (e.g. /dev/tty.usbserial-st000001).

Then after you hit enter this last time, it should start ticking away doing a bunch of stuff. When it's finished, you should have a dctool.log and dctool.bin file on your desktop. Throw both of those in an email to Nick (support@mac-dive.com) and myself (jef@libdivecomputer.org).

Let us know if you have any problems with any of this!

PS: If you email me a report, please mention your forum username and include a link to your forum topic or post (if there is one).
NoseLow
Dive Computer: Mares Icon HD

Re: How to report dive computer download problems?

Post by NoseLow »

This isn´t working for me, but I´m in hostile territory with this Terminal thing :o

The iconhd file is d-l and saved on the desktop. But I don´t know where the libdivecomputer-0.0.0 is to be stored. I´ve tried both the desktop and the applications folder.

I´ve attached a screendump of my terminal.

Hope this makes sence to someone!

;)
Attachments
OSX Terminal screendump
OSX Terminal screendump
Bilde 6.png (16.56 KiB) Viewed 135907 times
TnT

Post by TnT »

You forgot the star "*" at the end of the command. It's safest to copy-and-past the commands to avoid typos.

You only need the iconhd file and nothing else. The libdivecomputer-0.0.0 files contain the source code and are only necessary if you want to build the applications from the source code yourself.
scubafied
Dive Computer: Icon HD

Post by scubafied »

So I just got a new Icon HD and am having trouble connecting with MacDive. I tried running the test you mentioned and after hitting enter the last time, this is all I got:

Last login: Wed Apr 20 10:05:53 on ttys000
justin-valentines-computer:~ Justin$ /Users/Justin/Desktop/iconhd ; exit;
DATETIME 2011-04-20T16:09:29Z (1303315769)
REVISION ce9459039cc8a2df9a4694628d88f81b7433fe7d
DEVICE=/dev/ttyS0
mares_iconhd_device_open
TRACE (../../source/src/serial_posix.c:107, open): No such file or directory (2)
../../source/src/mares_iconhd.c:131: Failed to open the serial port.
../../source/examples/mares_iconhd_test.c:35: Error opening serial port.

SUMMARY
-------
test_dump_memory: Input/output error
logout

[Process completed]

And this:

Last login: Wed Apr 20 10:04:38 on ttys000
justin-valentines-computer:~ Justin$ cd Desktop
justin-valentines-computer:Desktop Justin$ chmod u+x iconhd
justin-valentines-computer:Desktop Justin$ ls /dev/tty.*
/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem /dev/tty.usbmodem01234561
/dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
justin-valentines-computer:Desktop Justin$ ./iconhd/dev/tty.usbmodem01234561
-bash: ./iconhd/dev/tty.usbmodem01234561: Not a directory
justin-valentines-computer:Desktop Justin$
justin-valentines-computer:Desktop Justin$

I'm totally lost and a bit frustrated as I've got 2 programs (yours and Diver's Diary) and it does not seem to want to communicate with either. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Oh, my username is scubafied.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

justin-valentines-computer:Desktop Justin$ ./iconhd/dev/tty.usbmodem01234561
This part here is missing a space, between ./iconhd and /dev/tty.usbmodem01234561. These instructions have to be specific - appreciate your frustration, but repeat with this:

./iconhd /dev/tty.usbmodem01234561
nam-reh
Dive Computer: MARES NEMO WIDE AIR

Post by nam-reh »

Hi guys !

(I'm just new to MDF)
I am a Mac-user (not a technician, nor programmer...) & I speak Dutch, but English is +/- OK to me, as long as it's not too technical...
All these procedures to connect my Mares Nemo Wide air to my MacBook seem to be quite a challenge...

Isn't there a more easy way...? :mrgreen:

Thank you (in advance) for any technical assistance anyone can provide me with... :P
Herman (Nam-Reh).

>>> :mrgreen: Heuh... Correction my own post...
I tried (& bought) MacDive (& downloaded the drivers for my MARES NEMO WIDE + AIR) & all is working 100% !!!
Great product !!!
You can be sure I will recommend it to fellow divers !!!
TnT wrote:For downloading dives directly from a dive computer, macdive relies on the open source libdivecomputer library. Thus if you are experiencing a communication problem (timeouts, transfer protocol errors, etc) during the download, you should follow the procedure below to report your problem with all the information Nick and I need.

1. Identify the correct backend for your device.

Have a look at the list of supported devices, which is grouped by backend. The backend type is the name of the first device (lowercase and no spaces) in the list. If your device is not listed, you can usually pick the correct one based on the other names in the list.

For example the backend for a Suunto Vyper 2 is "vyper2", which I will use in the instructions below. If your backend is different one, replace "vyper2" with the correct one.

2. Download the test application.

Download the corresponding test application here, and save it to your desktop. Then, open a terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal). In it, type:

cd Desktop

Then:

chmod u+x vyper2

3. Connect the device, identify the portname and run the test application.

If you haven't installed the necessary USB driver yet, download and install that before you continue.

Connect the serial or USB cable to your Mac. If necessary, activate the transfer mode of your device. Then type:

ls /dev/tty.*

Note that this "ls" command starts with a lower case letter "L".

You should see something like "/dev/tty.usbserial-st000001". Whatever that is, copy it (apple+c), and you want to type a new command and paste it on the end, so that you get something like:

./vyper2 /dev/tty.usbserial-st000001

Then after you hit enter this last time, it should start ticking away doing a bunch of stuff. When it's finished, you should have a VYPER2.LOG and VYPER2.DMP file on your desktop. Throw both of those in an email to Nick (support@mac-dive.com) and myself (jefdriesen@hotmail.com).

Let us know if you have any problems with any of this!

PS: If you email me a report, please mention your forum username and include a link to your forum topic or post (if there is one).
henrikhedegaard
Dive Computer: Suunto Stinger

Post by henrikhedegaard »

Hi guys,

I have problems finding the right test-app.

I'm using the Suunto Stinger but when I fire the test command I don't have stinger as a backend option.
Currently, I'm using the universal test app.

Backend options are:
solution, eon, vyper, vyper2, d9, aladin, memomouse, smart, sensus, sensuspro, sensusultra, vtpro, veo250, atom2, nemo, puck, darwin, iconhd, ostc, edy, n2ition3, cobalt

Do you have some input on how to test the computer.

BR
Henrik
TnT

Post by TnT »

You need the "vyper" app.
libdivecomputer developer
Support the libdivecomputer project with a donation!
http://www.libdivecomputer.org/donate.html
michaeljee
Dive Computer: P4

Post by michaeljee »

Hi That is great, That is awesome information, i was also looking for this.
Regards
free testking braindumps question free testking braindumps question
ccie written pdf ccie written pdf
ccie sp pdf ccie sp pdf
ccna certification exam pdf ccna certification exam pdf
peocro@gmail.com
Dive Computer: Nemo Wide, D6i

Post by peocro@gmail.com »

Hi guys!

I have connection problems with my Nemo Wide
After following the procedure indicated (see terminal screen attached) i am still not able to connect

here is the terminal screen

Last login: Thu May 30 15:05:56 on console
Lobster-2:~ pietroadmin$ cd Desktop
Lobster-2:Desktop pietroadmin$ chmod u+x puck
Lobster-2:Desktop pietroadmin$ ls /dev/tty.*
/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem /dev/tty.Krabbe-m-RouterConnecti-1
/dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync /dev/tty.R-1
/dev/tty.Donegal-Dial-upNetworki-2 /dev/tty.R-2
/dev/tty.Donegal-SerialPort-1 /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART
/dev/tty.Gambero-Dial-upNetworki-2 /dev/tty.pietroBB-DialupNetworki-1
/dev/tty.Gambero-SerialPort-1
Last login: Thu May 30 15:05:56 on console