How do you use Mac Dive when you dive with 2 computers?

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
mikemike
Dive Computer: TDC-3

How do you use Mac Dive when you dive with 2 computers?

Post by mikemike »

Hi,

I usually dive with both a primary and backup computer (one on each wrist), especially on deco dives. Both computers are identical and I'm not super diligent that, e.g., serial #X always goes on the right wrist. (Perhaps I should be?)

I know I'm definitely not the only person who does this, and I was wondering how others in this same boat manage things with Mac Dive. Downloading dives from the dive computer to Mac Dive tends to be cumulative (i.e., download all dives that aren't already in Mac Dive), so I either need to put a mark on one of the computers and never/only download that one, or I just download everything and then manually delete the duplicates?

Does anyone have a more-elegant solution that they use?

Thanks,

Mike
ManateDiver
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: How do you use Mac Dive when you dive with 2 computers?

Post by ManateDiver »

I created two divers. One with my name on it, and another called "Back Up," I associate one computer to each diver. Download both computers and they are properly separated.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

The dive numbers can be associated to a computer so you just have duplicates of everything with the same dive numbers (actually that’s currently the default mode). Or you could download all and tag the ones you want and use a smart log or the tag to represent your “main” dives as well.
Bollar
Dive Computer: Shearwater Perdix AI

Post by Bollar »

I also have a separate diver that all of our backups upload to. Since I have more than one diver in MacDive, I added a "tilde" ~ to the front of the Back Up Diver name to move it to the end. I only mention this because "pipe" and "square open bracket" | and [ cause REGEX problems in MacDive.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Yeah there's a bunch of places that support searching by regular expression, because I am a nerd and like searching by regular expression :p

If it's causing problems somewhere specific I can potentially handle escaping those values manually. Are you just referring to the search/filter or the sidebar or something?