How people use tags?

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
esasse
Dive Computer: Perdix AI

How people use tags?

Post by esasse »

I’m just curious about how people are using tags. All kinds of info about a dive I could think of I can already fit on dive fields. What am I missing? :D
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: How people use tags?

Post by nick »

Personally I use them to log "Trips". This is super-useful for that iPhone version where the primary screen is Tags, to give you a way to organise things. Eg Komodo 2018, Lembeh 2016, Lembeh 2017, etc. One of my buddies uses them for all sorts of things like "Wreck Dives" for the same reason.
esasse

Post by esasse »

Nice, makes sense.
For trips is particular interesting because you can dive multiple locations and there is no other way to group the dives, right?
mattleach2114
Dive Computer: Garmin Descent MK1

Post by mattleach2114 »

I like to use tags for multiple purposes - Fresh or Salt water, Springs, Spearfishing, Dives done with a specific op, etc...
esasse

Post by esasse »

mattleach2114 wrote:I like to use tags for multiple purposes - Fresh or Salt water, Springs, Spearfishing, Dives done with a specific op, etc...
But then you are not using the specific fields for this information? Like Dive type, Operator, etc?
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

I can't answer for the person who posted that, but the main benefit of Tags there is that the dives views on iPhone/iPad will automatically organise by tag for you.

You can also make Smart Logs, eg "Operator is Joe's Gone Diving", or "Max Depth is greater than 20 Metres and Country is Indonesia and Dive Site is The Jetty and Year is not 2014" or whatever crazy things you want. Those will also show up on iOS and you can switch between tags and smart logs easily. They let you use almost any field in MacDive to categorise things in various ways.

Also, pro tip having just realised what I wrote, if you get deeper than 20 Metres at the Jetty you went the wrong way.
esasse

Post by esasse »

I can't answer for the person who posted that, but the main benefit of Tags there is that the dives views on iPhone/iPad will automatically organise by tag for you.

You can also make Smart Logs, eg "Operator is Joe's Gone Diving", or "Max Depth is greater than 20 Metres and Country is Indonesia and Dive Site is The Jetty and Year is not 2014" or whatever crazy things you want. Those will also show up on iOS and you can switch between tags and smart logs easily. They let you use almost any field in MacDive to categorise things in various ways.
Yes! I've been using Smart Logs for that. BTW, can we expect Smart Log adding and editing in iOS? :)
Also, pro tip having just realised what I wrote, if you get deeper than 20 Metres at the Jetty you went the wrong way.
Thanks for the tip! :lol: