Garmin Descent MK1 and Dive Entry Point

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
ATJ
Dive Computer: Garmin Descent Mk1

Garmin Descent MK1 and Dive Entry Point

Post by ATJ »

I'm trying to use MacDive with my Garmin Descent MK1 and have MacDive show and preserve the coordinates captured by the Descent for entry point but I'm having problems.

If I import a FIT file the details are added to dive list. If I select and Edit Selected and go to the Map tab, I do not see a marker indicating where the dive started.

If I then go to the Site tab and select the site, the Map tab is updated to a generic location for that site, even though there may be multiple entry points for that site.

If I choose New Site, I see the actual entry coordinates that the Descent recorded, but if I choose Create Site with the same name as a previously created site, those coordinates are thrown away and it defaults to the generic coordinates for that site.

Is is possible with MacDive to select a site for a dive but still preserve the actual coordinates for the entry point and have that displayed on the map, and exported if the dive is exported?
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Garmin Descent MK1 and Dive Entry Point

Post by nick »

Right now, no.. there are only two uses of the Descent GPS data.

1. In create-site, as you have observed

2. If you use the site drop downs to select an existing site, and one with similar coordinates is found, it will be offered as a suggestion

iOS has a feature where if it detects a site with no GPS, but you have a location available, it can fill it in for you. I can add that to macOS somehow. I'll have to think about how to actually include it, but, sure, I can look at doing that.

That still would not allow per-dive GPS coordinates as the data format doesn't support that right now.
ATJ

Post by ATJ »

Thanks for the quick reply.
ATJ

Post by ATJ »

Hi Nick,

Would you be interested in placing the Entry and Exit coordinates as comments in Notes on import?

For example:
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Well.. I've never really added anything like that. I can maybe do that as a workaround before anything better..

Let me see if I can knock something up this weekend (currently a little slammed with stuff).
ATJ

Post by ATJ »

Thanks very much :D
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

I have uploaded a new beta that adds the entry GPS to notes, as a convenience. From a quick look at the FIT SDK, and the sample FIT files I have, I couldn't see an exit recorded.

Feel free to drop me an email if you want to try it, or it'll be in the next update.
ATJ

Post by ATJ »

Thanks, Nick.

I have a bunch of FIT files with exit points that I can send you.
ATJ

Post by ATJ »

Hi Nick,

Did you find the exit coordinates in the FIT files I sent you?
delonlim

Post by delonlim »

Hi, i am a Descent MK1 user too and wondering if any progress on how to automatically record the gps entry and exit point on future updates. It would be perfect if you can work this out Nick. thanks from happy user