New Release - MacDive 2.8.3 (macOS)

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

New Release - MacDive 2.8.3 (macOS)

Post by nick »

New update for macOS. This is primarily to update the Dropbox API, which will be disabled soon. There are a load of little fixes around the place that I haven't bothered to mention, and some little performance improvements.

Note that the new Dropbox API requires OS X 10.10, so I've bumped the minimum version that MacDive requires. Apologies for any inconvenience. The number of users <10.10 is very small. I can build you a separate version of MacDive that has no cloud syncing (iCloud requires 10.11+) if necessary.

If you have any issues with syncing, please just disable and then re-enable.

New Features:
  • Added ability to filter AutoAdd by a diver, so only their dives are considered.
  • Added Purchase Date column to Gear Table.
  • Updated Dropbox API to V2.
  • Improved DM5 database import.
  • Improved UDDF import.
  • Minor UI improvements.
  • Minor optimisations.
  • Minimum version requirement is now OS X 10.10.
Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed bug where notes could disappear if a sync started while writing them.
  • Fixed issue where some alarms were drawn at a slightly incorrect position.
  • Fixed issue where downloading very short dives from a Petrel 2/Perdix could fail.
  • Fixed various issues reading data from a range of devices.
  • Minor bug fixes.
rnacc71
Dive Computer: Shearwater Perdix

Re: New Release - MacDive 2.8.3 (macOS)

Post by rnacc71 »

Good morning Nick. For some reason, I'm trying to open my app on a mac, a window pops up advising "MacDive quit unexpectedly. Can you advise what I need to do?
NicMic
Dive Computer: Suunto Cobra

Re: New Release - MacDive 2.8.3 Suunto Cobra Error Code -7

Post by NicMic »

Dear Nick,

I just installed the new MacDive version on a MacBook Pro running OS 10.12.3. and whatever I do, I gives me "Error Code:-7" when I try to download dives from my (old) Suunto Cobra. It worked smoothly with the previous MacDive version just before installing. The Cobra battery is fine. Nothing else has changed.

What I tested thus far:
1. Reconnection and reactivation in every conceivable order
2. That included several laptop restarts
3. Checking the contacts (dry & clean) and re-attaching the cable (Suunto original)
4. Reinstallation of MacDive
5. Reinstallation of the newest USB driver for the Suunto download cable.

Since I am on a diving trip right now, and like to make notes on what I did and saw, I'd be more than happy to simply go back to the previous version (assuming this is the cause of the problem). Is that possible? Previous versions do not seem to be available from the site.

Is there something else you can suggest?

Cheers,
Nico
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Nothing changed with regards to the Cobra. Double-check the battery/cable.
jsneveu
Dive Computer: Perdix AI

Post by jsneveu »

Hello

Just upgraded to 2.8.3 a few weeks ago and upon restarting the app data appears seriously messed up. If sorting by Dive # with most recent first, the dates are no longer in chronological order. Also most locations and site names are lost, showing "unknown location" and "unknown site". However the other fields all have data showing except "Computer" field that's skipping a few beats. Also Buddies fiels does not appear consistent.

Logbook contains 501 dives. 65 of which with my latest computer, Liquivision Xeo.

One trend I notice if recent dives with my Liquivision Xeo are all showing the LV as computer but unknown location & sites. Among recent dives since I dive with the LV, the few dives that are actually showing a location and site name show now Computer.

One could think problem is with LV but that logbook used to be just fine up until the upgrade :(

Any hint?

Thanks
PS: my data is stored on Dropbox. Will look in file structure and see if I can recover an older version and maybe try converting again, or else reinstall earlier version of MacDive. ???
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

This update is unrelated to your issue.

Try restoring your data. You should disable syncing first before doing so. Disable syncing on all devices, except one. On that, "Reset Cloud". Back up your broken data file before you do this, just in case. This will clear out the cloud and disable syncing, and you can then restore your data and enable everything again.
jsneveu
Dive Computer: Perdix AI

Post by jsneveu »

I guess you're right. I restored the data then forgot to disable cloud sync and restarted MacDive 2.8.3. Upon restarting MacDive, I see it loading all my existing data and at first glance it seems to be correct. Dives# are in synch with dates. But it doesn't stop there. MacDive proceeds to transform the data somehow and I see the data getting corrupted right under my eyes until it stabilizes in the same state as my previous broken dataset.

So restored again, this time remembered to disable cloud sync (through Reset Cloud Data) and then only restarted MacDive again. This time it loaded the data just right and stopped there. That's where I'm at right now. Haven't yet re-enabled Cloud sync. Will do that later when I have spare time but since it's all reset, I suppose it'll be just fine ...

I see you're using Shearwater Perdix AI. Just bought one. Does it work great with MacDive?

Thanks

js
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

It does. Particularly paired with the location tracking features of the iPhone version. I can log my dives and sites after a day of diving very quickly and easily. Add some notes[*]. And worry about the rest after syncing it all back to my Mac.

[*] This however depends on how many beers I have first.