Manually migrate dives from iOS to OS X without Cloud Sync?

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
Romes
Dive Computer: d6i

Manually migrate dives from iOS to OS X without Cloud Sync?

Post by Romes »

Is this possible? Searched around the forum but didn't see a post about this (sorry if I missed it) and couldn't figure it out from the User Guide.

The User Guide says you can add files to your iOS app through iTunes File Sharing i.e. drag and drop from your Mac into MacDive Documents in iTunes but what if you have no internet because you're somewhere remote (or perhaps you're like my parents and just not fans of the cloud altogether) and need/want to manually sync from your iPhone to your Mac?

I played around with the iTunes File Sharing and nothing seems to happen if you drag/drop the files out of iTunes (take the files/folders off iOS from MacDive Documents) and then drag/drop into MacDive OS X. I wasn't expecting anything to happen but some of the folders (like Photos) seem to show up in the Library folder now but none of the dives dropped in the database. Is there something special I need to do with the sqlite file on iOS? Presuming if you were to replace the sqlite file in your Library folder you'll just overwrite your local db so didn't mess with that.

Just wondering if there is a way (albeit more painfully) to do this in the off chance you can't do it via Cloud Sync...

Many thanks
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Manually migrate dives from iOS to OS X without Cloud Sy

Post by nick »

Copying the database file between iOS and macOS works (the user guide explains how to do this), but if you have syncing enabled, do not do this - the sync will break and you will need to reset it.

Note you can't just drag/drop. Read the user guide for how to replace data on the Mac:

http://mac-dive.com/help/mac_04_01_userdata

You can't mix and match cloud sync and manually copying the file - it will break. But you can use one or the other.
mruseless
Dive Computer: Shearwater Petrel

Post by mruseless »

Sorry for re-opening this thread, but I have a related question.
Recently I was on a trip in Fiji, no internet. I wanted to log the GPS locations of my dives, but I can only do that in MacDive for iOS. I was downloading my Shearwater Perdix data after every dive or two to my Mac. However, I didn't want to download the same dives to iOS so I couldn't use iOS to track the site locations. Is there a workaround for this? Or is there a way to download the dives to iPhone then sync to my Mac via Bluetooth?

Thanks,
Eric
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Hello

There’s no way to use Bluetooth to sync dives. The sync, by design, is based on the cloud. You can manually copy the data back and forth, but not if syncing is enabled (doing this will cause issues). You would need to disable syncing on all devices before doing this, and reset it on all devices afterwards.

Why not just download the dives on iOS to begin with, and sync everything back to the Mac when you get to wifi? At least that tends to be my workflow, though this isn’t always possible.
mruseless

Post by mruseless »

Thanks Nick.
The reason I prefer to download my dives to my Mac is simply for ease of typing. In order to use a decent keyboard with my iPhone, I'd also have to carry a bluetooth keyboard (one more thing to carry). So I download straight to my Mac so I can type notes for each dive (I mostly do liveaboard diving). But your point is well taken, I could still type dive notes in my Mac in a different app and cut/paste them over later. Or hand write them and transcribe later.

What happens if I download the dives to both my iPhone and my Mac, then sync them later on? Will they show up as duplicate dives?

Eric
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Yup, they would show up as duplicates.

It’s an interesting problem. I don’t have any better ideas at the moment, but I will have a think about it.
mruseless

Post by mruseless »

Something else to add to the wish list: The ability to import a GPS track from a Garmin, then use time stamps or waypoints to assign GPS coordinates to dives.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

The latest beta supports the Garmin Descent and will read its GPS. If I had some sample data from a track I could piggyback the location mechanism easily enough (I’ve added some of the location features to macOS, but currently only really for the descent).
mruseless

Post by mruseless »

My buddy has a Garmin that he used on our recent trip. (I've been thinking about getting one) I'll see if I can get some data for you.
azchris11
Dive Computer: Teric

Post by azchris11 »

nick wrote:The latest beta supports the Garmin Descent and will read its GPS. If I had some sample data from a track I could piggyback the location mechanism easily enough (I’ve added some of the location features to macOS, but currently only really for the descent).
Nick I have multiple .gpx trails from running a GPS tracker on charter boats that I can email if you like.