Critters XML

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
IainDaRed
Dive Computer: Suunto Eon Steel

Critters XML

Post by IainDaRed »

Hi All,

First time poster here. I have recently moved to MacDive after my DiversDiary crapped out on me and lost all my logs. I have to say, i wish i had moved years ago.

I was wondering if anyone has started a communal Critters resource that can be imported into others MacDive. it would save some of the admin of a long time diver having to play catch up with their logs (yes, you can read that as lazy). Same goes for Sites.

I was also wondering if anyone has requested the ability to create new critters when 'identifying critter's in the photos section.
(currently right clicking on a photo and selecting 'identify critter' then find that the critter i want isn't in my library yet so have to navigate away from photo to critters library, add the critter, then back to the photo to start again).

I'm sure its just me playing catchup and someone will set me right with the best practice to get round both of these. If so, i'm very thankful for the helping hand.

Cheers

IainDaRed
*running MacDive on Mac and iOS.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Critters XML

Post by nick »

IainDaRed wrote: I was wondering if anyone has started a communal Critters resource that can be imported into others MacDive. it would save some of the admin of a long time diver having to play catch up with their logs (yes, you can read that as lazy). Same goes for Sites.
I'm not aware of this. There are online resources for Sites, but I've never built anything in to MacDive. It's something I have considered in the past, wiring all that stuff up to either a custom MacDive one or a third party one. Particularly for sites. But I've not done anything about it.
I was also wondering if anyone has requested the ability to create new critters when 'identifying critter's in the photos section.
(currently right clicking on a photo and selecting 'identify critter' then find that the critter i want isn't in my library yet so have to navigate away from photo to critters library, add the critter, then back to the photo to start again).
They have not. But consider it requested. It did cross my mind when I was building it, as you can do this on the iOS version far more easily.

It may or may not help, but my usual workflow is to go through all my photos in Aperture/Lightroom, and as I process them I tag them with the Critter name in keywords. Then I make sure the critter exists in MacDive for new stuff. Finally, when you auto-add the images, they will get automatically linked to the critter if a match is found.

That way you don't even have to identify them manually. There's a bit more info on this in the user guide: http://mac-dive.com/help/mac_01_11_images.php
amcintyr
Dive Computer: Shearwater Perdix

Post by amcintyr »

IainDaRed wrote: I was also wondering if anyone has requested the ability to create new critters when 'identifying critter's in the photos section.
I would also like to request this, please :D

Would it also be possible to add a new category (when adding a new critter) on iOS? At the moment, you can only select an existing one.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Would it also be possible to add a new category (when adding a new critter) on iOS? At the moment, you can only select an existing one.
Since I am usually identifying via a photo on a dive, I just switch to the critters tab, add the category, then it's available when I switch back to the dives tab. It's not really that much more work than making the critter interface more complicated to add something special to do this? At least not in my usual workflow. Not to mention I don't actually add categories all that often.

To be fair I could probably live with just "Nudibranchs" and "Other"..

I will add a note to look in to it, but I can't promise you that it will be any time soon.