JTrak xls to UCDF File Conversion

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
MSltr
Dive Computer: Aladin Prime

JTrak xls to UCDF File Conversion

Post by MSltr »

I need some help trying to determine where exactly to find the correct file that contains the program for conversion. I am trying to convert exported .xls files from JTrak to UCDF format to import into MacDIve. I have visited the website-sourceforge.net; but all I can locate are data files that already contain what appears to be sample data. I'm looking for the source program file name that converts or imports the JTrak export file from xls to UCDF.
mdjh51
Dive Computer: uwatec smart tec

Re: JTrak xls to UCDF File Conversion

Post by mdjh51 »

I too am having difficulty getting this tool to work.

Thanks for anything you can do!

B
rvaneerd
Dive Computer: Uwatec Aladin Tec2G

Post by rvaneerd »

Hi there,
  • Some remarks first:
  • As this program is still in "Alpha" state, there's no fancy executable / installer package available yet.
  • Although this program is mentioned on MacDive's site, all support is delivered through SourceForge. From there I'll be triggered of any new comments / requests posted (if all is configured properly by me :roll: )
The program required to convert your .xls files to .udcf is the JTrak2UDCF.pl.
This Perl script can be found at (the root directory of) http://jtrak2udcf.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... trak2udcf/

For me I've created a directory / map / folder structure like presented on the same link. So anywhere on your system create a directory where you place JTrak2UDCF.pl say
\Users\rvaneerd\Applications\JTrak2UDCF
In that folder you create (at least) the directories conf & data (the others are not yet used).
This makes it look like:
JTrak2UDCF Directory Structure
JTrak2UDCF Directory Structure
Just for clarification of the above image, here's an overview:

Code: Select all

\Users\rvaneerd\Applications\JTrak2UDCF              <--TopLevel directory
+-conf                                               <--Configuration (sub-)directory
     ---JTrak2UDCF.conf                              <--Configuration file
+-data                                               <--Data (sub-)directory
    ---YourJTrakExportFile.xls                       <--Your exported .xls file (from JTrak)
    ---YourJTrakExportFile.udcf                      <--will be created by running the program
+-doc                                                <--Documentation (sub-)directory
+-log                                                <--Log (sub-)directory
+-tmp                                                <--Temporary (sub-)directory
---JTrak2UDCF.pl                                     <--The Actual Script doing all the work
Now adjust the (hopefully documented enough) parameters in JTrak2UDCF.conf in the conf directory according to your needs.
Than place your .xls files in the data directory
Make sure you have installed the CPAN Perl Module "Spreadsheet::ParseExcel"

If all is in place, run "perl JTrak2UDCF.pl"

If you still have issues, do not hesitate to contact me directly at rob@van-Eerd.net

Regards,
Rob.
Last edited by rvaneerd on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Rob,

Just a random thought, but since you've already got all of the Perl code written anyway, what about a really basic web service where you can upload the XLS file and it will generate a UDCF file for you ?

That way users don't need to worry about installing CPAN modules or mucking around at all.

:)
rvaneerd

Post by rvaneerd »

Hi Nick,

Great thought! :idea:
However, I have no experience at all writing a WebService like that. :(
I could try to create a simple WebPage that will do this for a visitor but then we might have issues with the Configuration parameters. But then again, that could be done in a WebForm......... :idea: :idea: :idea:
I'll give it some thought. :roll:

Regards,
Rob.
xcetra
Dive Computer: Uwatec Aladin Prime

Post by xcetra »

Cool. I finally got the script to convert my jtrak files over however...

The first dive's date is today's date and continues. Is there any way I can offset the time or specify a starting date to begin with in Macdive?

Also, all my dives under the "Dive Number" column are set to "1". Is there any way in Macdive I can get it to count up from the first dive?

If I can solve these two problems, then I can use MacDive.

Thanks!

Jason
rvaneerd

Post by rvaneerd »

xcetra wrote:Cool. I finally got the script to convert my jtrak files over however...
Great!
xcetra wrote:The first dive's date is today's date and continues. Is there any way I can offset the time or specify a starting date to begin with in Macdive?
I could (try to) build that into the JTrak2UDCF Perl Script, but need some more input on how you want to input that date/timestamp (considering the format and the option of converting multiple dives in a row)
xcetra wrote:Also, all my dives under the "Dive Number" column are set to "1". Is there any way in Macdive I can get it to count up from the first dive?
I've discussed this with Nick and it's the way MacDive seems to handle "repetitive dives" and not (until requested enough) as a dive-number.
xcetra wrote:If I can solve these two problems, then I can use MacDive.
I'm thinking of:
  • Improving JTrakl2UDCF but I might need some thoughts / input on this (through SourceForge?)
  • (At sometime) integrate / donate my work to Nick to have it incorporated in MacDive