sqlite format

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
lloyd12255
Dive Computer: suunto d4i

sqlite format

Post by lloyd12255 »

My computer crashed and I have one task left to rebuild on my new computer. I have thousands of dives saved in .sqlite format. Those are files created by Macdive. Does anyone know how to salvage those?
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: sqlite format

Post by nick »

Are you referring to your MacDive.sqlite data file? If so, then of course MacDive will read it.

The FAQ in the help explains how to copy data over to a new machine (or restore it) - http://www.mac-dive.com/help.
lloyd12255
Dive Computer: suunto d4i

Post by lloyd12255 »

Thank you. The trick was finding the folder.

To access this folder:
1. Click on the Finder in your dock.
2. Click on the "Go" menu at the top of your screen.
3. At the bottom of this menu, select "Go to folder.."
4. Paste in the following and press enter: ~/Library/Application Support/
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

If you open MacDive you can also use Preferences -> Show data folder, which can be a bit easier.
dc3john
Dive Computer: Mares Icon HD

Post by dc3john »

excuse my ignorance but these directions seem incomplete.

I followed them and my old dives do not show back up in the divelog. Please elaborate?

I went to the folder, copied in my old macdive.sqlite file, replaced the old, restarted the program and nothing. What am I missing?
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Hi,

I would guess you either copied in an empty file, or it wasn't copied to the right place. Here are some more explicit instructions:

1. Open Preferences -> General on the old computer.
2. Click "Show MacDive Data Folder"
3. That opens a Finder window, and you will see "MacDive.sqlite". Ignore the other files.
4. Copy that file to the new computer.
5. Repeat #1 on the new computer
6. Repeat #2 on the new computer
7. Quit MacDive.
8. Copy the old file in to the finder window that opened in step #6. It will ask if you want to replace the existing file with the same name, say yes. Restart.

Generally if your dives don't appear, then as above you either copied the wrong file (an empty one for example) or copied it to the wrong place. Using MacDive's preferences to open the correct Folder is the easiest way to make sure you are copying to the right place.

Feel free to email me the file you are trying to use, I can verify it actually contains data etc. If you have any further problems then please email support, as I will need to get some more information from you.

Thanks.