Joining Dive Computer log and manually created entry

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
Cale3459
Dive Computer: Oceanic

Joining Dive Computer log and manually created entry

Post by Cale3459 »

I'm not sure exactly how to phrase this, which is probably why I can't find any information on it, but what I want to do is to be able to join the information for what my computer downloads to Macdive and a manually created entry using the dive log app for iOS. For example: I'm on a dive boat in California and I use my iPad to create an entry for the visibility, current, entry type, boat operator signature, etc. basically all the stuff the computer isn't going to record and then when I get home and download all the dive data from my dive computer I can link the two entries information into one. Is this possible?
europaeer
Dive Computer: Shearwater

Re: Joining Dive Computer log and manually created entry

Post by europaeer »

isn't that 'merging'?
http://www.mac-dive.com/help/index.php? ... ging_Dives

you would have to sync the two databases (Mac and iOS) and afterwards you could merge ('join') the matching dives.

the intention of this feature seems to be the option to merge two shorter dives with interruption to only one, but why shouldn't it work to conflate different bits of information
Last edited by europaeer on Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Cale3459 wrote:I'm not sure exactly how to phrase this, which is probably why I can't find any information on it, but what I want to do is to be able to join the information for what my computer downloads to Macdive and a manually created entry using the dive log app for iOS. For example: I'm on a dive boat in California and I use my iPad to create an entry for the visibility, current, entry type, boat operator signature, etc. basically all the stuff the computer isn't going to record and then when I get home and download all the dive data from my dive computer I can link the two entries information into one. Is this possible?
Yes, it's possible. Record your dive on iOS. Then when you get home, download the dive profile to MacDive. Make sure that the dates are within a couple of minutes, and then perform a sync, and it will happen automatically. It's explained in more detail in the help under Dive Log Sync, but that's the general idea.

The sync summary will show you (under the Dives tab) what has been matched, and what has not. Double-check the information there before clicking "Sync" otherwise you'll end up with duplicates, but if everything matches as you expect, then the merge will take place and you will end up with just the one dive that has both sets of data. This last step is the key one. Feel free to drop me an email if you have any trouble.
Cale3459
Dive Computer: Oceanic

Post by Cale3459 »

After a bit of trial and error I got it working. Thank you very much for your assistance.