Cressi Leonardo

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
taylorharris50

Cressi Leonardo

Post by taylorharris50 »

Hello -

I am about to buy a dive computer for both my wife and myself. I have always borrowed computers in the past from the family (ancient - few features) and want to make sure that the one I pick meets our needs. Getting info on these things is surprising difficult even from review sites so I thought I would ask y'all.

- Can I download a detailed dive profile into Mac-Dive? I see the device is supported but can't tell if this just pulls in basic info for if it will show a chart of depths over time.

- Does the unit record water temp? If so is it stored over time as data is recorded or just once per dive?

- Issues with data sync: Amazon reviews note the data cable is hard to get to work with Macs but I can't tell if that has to do with the Cressi software not working well or if it is a hardware issue.

- One feature I like on my dad's ancient computer is that it shows dots accumulate as you load up on nitrogen that you clear with your safety stop. I don't see anything like on the Cressi. Always seemed like a nice safety feature that anyone could figure out with no training.

Other info: I am about to get nitrox trained for the U-352 dive in NC, do some night dives (good backlight?). I want 2 of the same computer for simplicity. The wife is not into gadgets so the 1 button looks nice. I love gadgets and capturing data and am torn about not having air integration but don't want to spend $1,000 on a watch that gets used a few times a year.

Any final thoughts on if this is a good pick for a value dive computer?

Thanks for your opinions and expertise!

Taylor
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Cressi Leonardo

Post by nick »

I can answer some of your questions, but not all -
taylorharris50 wrote: - Can I download a detailed dive profile into Mac-Dive? I see the device is supported but can't tell if this just pulls in basic info for if it will show a chart of depths over time.
Yes, the main info is depth and time but there are other bits and pieces - CNS%, temperature, etc. It doesn't contain the most detailed information out of the supported devices, but the main things are there. It also records ascent rate warnings during the profile.
- Does the unit record water temp? If so is it stored over time as data is recorded or just once per dive?
Yes, but not per-sample. Just once.
- Issues with data sync: Amazon reviews note the data cable is hard to get to work with Macs but I can't tell if that has to do with the Cressi software not working well or if it is a hardware issue.
The device and cable work fine with MacDive, there are lots of people using both the Leonardo and the Giotto.

Someone else that owns one can hopefully chime in and answer the other questions, as I've not used one personally. Hope that helps a little!