A few questions from a new user

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
Alowan
Dive Computer: Suunto Vyper Air

A few questions from a new user

Post by Alowan »

Hi
I recently bought Mac Dive and I love it so far. I have a few questions about the use of it and certain functions and I could not find it with a search.

Is the equipment weight supposed to be the actual weight of the equipment or the bouyancy weight (don't know if you can call it that). Aka. is it supposed to be used as an indication of total equipment weight for traveling etc. or as a way to see how bouyant your rig is?

Secondly I have a Suunto Vyper Air Black Edition and it imports really easily into Mac Dive. However there don't seem to be an ppO2 graph for it even though I know the data is there. Is this an error or just due to the fact that diffrent computers record the ppO2 diffrently (some programs even calculate it - I think DM4 does) resulting that it dosen't show in mac dive since mac dive don't have pressure profiles?

Thirdly I have a logged dive in which the profile suddenly shows a O2 warning in the beginning of the dive - but since the ppO2 is not calculated how can this be (and what might be a reason for it showing it when it is not there - I think it was at around 5 meters on a EAN32..)

Best regards,
Mads

P.s. sorry if this has been answered before. I tried to do a search without luck.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: A few questions from a new user

Post by nick »

Alowan wrote:Hi
Is the equipment weight supposed to be the actual weight of the equipment or the bouyancy weight (don't know if you can call it that). Aka. is it supposed to be used as an indication of total equipment weight for traveling etc. or as a way to see how bouyant your rig is?
Currently you can use it for whatever you like really, it's just a text field. It was intended to record the weights you used on the dive.
Secondly I have a Suunto Vyper Air Black Edition and it imports really easily into Mac Dive. However there don't seem to be an ppO2 graph for it even though I know the data is there. Is this an error or just due to the fact that diffrent computers record the ppO2 diffrently (some programs even calculate it - I think DM4 does) resulting that it dosen't show in mac dive since mac dive don't have pressure profiles?
This information is not downloaded from a Vyper Air, I'm not sure that it's available to download.
Thirdly I have a logged dive in which the profile suddenly shows a O2 warning in the beginning of the dive - but since the ppO2 is not calculated how can this be (and what might be a reason for it showing it when it is not there - I think it was at around 5 meters on a EAN32..)
It's possibly just a warning telling you that your NDL will be shorter than usual because of prior surface intervals etc, it depends on the exact warning. These are often the warnings at the start of a dive on a suunto device.
Alowan
Dive Computer: Suunto Vyper Air

Post by Alowan »

nick wrote:
Alowan wrote:Hi
Currently you can use it for whatever you like really, it's just a text field. It was intended to record the weights you used on the dive.
This information is not downloaded from a Vyper Air, I'm not sure that it's available to download.
It's possibly just a warning telling you that your NDL will be shorter than usual because of prior surface intervals etc, it depends on the exact warning. These are often the warnings at the start of a dive on a suunto device.

Ok thanks for the answers. The suunto shows it on dives and you can see it in DM4 so I suppose it is there?

But thanks for the answers and a really nice program.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Not necessarily - Suunto Dive Manager does create some data that isn't downloaded. For example, per-sample pressure for their older devices that don't actually record it. Some models only record the start/end pressure, and you get a straight line in SDM to show the pressure over the dive. Which of course, is not "real" data.

I'll take a look and see if it is there when I get a chance.