New Diver New User

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
gritz72
Dive Computer: Atomic Cobalt

New Diver New User

Post by gritz72 »

I am new to the diving world at the ripe old age of 40! I certainly have the itch now to get diving as much as possible!! Being new to the market, I was felt fortunate to take advantage of the new gear, technology, and tools available now. So, I purchased an Atomic Cobalt. My intitial feelings toward it is that it kicks ass!!

With dives to log, I found the MacDive program and love it! The interface, analysis, and ease is brilliant!

Couple of questions/comments on use:

1. Short of manually doing the PG calcs, does MacDive have the capability to show that when analyzing the dive (for record).
2. Is there a calculator or otherwise available to Dive Plan, based on FO2%. Would like to calculate out the PG's when planning.
3. Can you sort SAC's by depth ranges to see the averages at different atmospheres.
4. Is there a recommended APP on the Ipad that is used to sync with that is compatible with MacDive (in case I do not bring the laptop).

Of course, I am aware that the aforementioned questions may "newbie" questions/comments, but I as I said I am new to the community and trying to catch up!!

Thanks!!
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: New Diver New User

Post by nick »

1. Short of manually doing the PG calcs, does MacDive have the capability to show that when analyzing the dive (for record).
Pressure groups are not supported. You can't really use the PADI ones or the SSI ones etc, they don't like you doing that. And I'm not about to write my own tables. Besides, with a dive computer, the standard tables are pointless due to multi level diving. You would be more looking at the wheel.
2. Is there a calculator or otherwise available to Dive Plan, based on FO2%. Would like to calculate out the PG's when planning.
No, sorry. MacDive is not responsible for planning or suggesting anything related to your dives - this is your job. It's just there to analyse and track the dives afterwards.
3. Can you sort SAC's by depth ranges to see the averages at different atmospheres.
The whole purpose of the SAC rate is to normalise the atmospheres out of the equation and give you a look at your breathing rate regardless of depth, at a consistent level (ie the surface).
4. Is there a recommended APP on the Ipad that is used to sync with that is compatible with MacDive (in case I do not bring the laptop).
Dive Log, by more mobile software.
gritz72
Dive Computer: Atomic Cobalt

Post by gritz72 »

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for taking the time to answer those questions. Very much appreciated.
honigferd
Dive Computer: D6, VyperAir, F10 V2

Post by honigferd »

nick wrote:
Pressure groups are not supported. You can't really use the PADI ones or the SSI ones etc, they don't like you doing that. And I'm not about to write my own tables. Besides, with a dive computer, the standard tables are pointless due to multi level diving. You would be more looking at the wheel.
They aren't exactly pointless but very, very rough/crude. A bit like using a hammer instead of a toothpick to get the spinach out between your teeth. ;)
"Better" dive computers come with dive planning functions which are worth having a look at, because they mostly respect the device's algorithms.
Also there are some dive plan Apps for iOS in the App Store.
Twitter - Web
CMAS** scuba diver / CMAS*** free diver