Advice for buying my first dive computer!

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
saltedlolly

Advice for buying my first dive computer!

Post by saltedlolly »

I first went diving 12 years when I did my Padi OW course in Thailand. I then didn't dive except very occasionally for the next 10 years due to lack of opportunity. In the last two years I have found myself in Thailand, Vietnam and next month the Philipines so have done a lot of dives. I failed to track everything in my log book but if I was to guess I have clocked about about 35 dives so far. I completed my Padi AOW course two years ago. Long story short I am a reasonably expereinced recrational diver. With all this in mind I have decided to buy a dive computer, and would like some advice from the community on what to get.

What I want from the device:

- Budget up to 250-500 UKP (ideally closer to 300!)
- Water activated (Ideally I shouldn't have to press start - so easy to forget!)
- Wrist mounted device (easier to travel with since invariably I will be using it with rented equipment)
- Support for snorkelling and preferably freediving. I love taking underwater photos especially out snorkelling. It would be fun to track how deep I dive when diving down to get a shot. I also don't want the device to assume that I am diving when I am snorkelling.
- Ability to sync back to a computer. This is essential for me. I want to be able to get the data off the phone to my computer. Ideally I'd like a device that can do this easilly with a wireless cradle or cheap USB cable. Bluetooth syncing would be best (if the technology for this even exists?!)
- Clear, easy to read display with some form of illumination.
- Digital compass would be nice but is not essential. I hear they are not very good. Anyone care to comment on their experience using them?! I'd be interested to know whther people think they are work paying extra for.
- Future Proof. I don't really want to have to replace it if I move into more technical diving (not for a while anyway!). It would be great to find a device that offers good recreational dive support as well as nitrox etc.

Currently I have been considering the following watches:

- Suunto D6i / Suunto D4i
- Mares Matrix
- Suunto Vyper Air

What do people recommend? How are these devices? What other ones would you suggest?

Many thanks in advance.
intisuarez
Dive Computer: suunto d4i

Re: Advice for buying my first dive computer!

Post by intisuarez »

Hello there

I started with a suunto gekko and went on to a suunto d4i. Mostly because there was an offer and the d series can have air directly readable in the wrist. Now, if I would have know at the moment, I would have hard time deciding between the d4i and the meridian from scubapro. It does not have integrated air, but it does have hearth rate, which is more relevant for diving. Besides, the algorithm behind suunto is probably more advanced (wienke's RGBM) but it's proprietary, so you don't know what you have. Scubapro uses good old Buhlman, which might not have bubble gradients, but is simple and widely used. Think about that one as well, then: http://www.scubapro.com/en-US/USA/instr ... idian.aspx
AarushiSwan
Dive Computer: Aeris

Re: Advice for buying my first dive computer!

Post by AarushiSwan »

When i dive first time it was completely scary to me as i never did it before and also did not knew much about the dive but somehow i have recorded it with my BIostar and i still have the exact same feeler of my story..