Sync prioritization

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
Sepia
Dive Computer: Oceanic Proplus X

Sync prioritization

Post by Sepia »

I am running MacDive on Mac desktop and iPad. After uploading a huge number of old dives (>1700), I'm getting things set up the way I want them. I'm using the critters and photos functions. After some playing around and seeing how it works, I'd like to delete some photos I attached to some older dives. I'm doing this on my desktop. As soon as the software syncs, it adds them back in since they are in the cloud copy.

I'm curious as to how the prioritization of a sync works. Is there a way to indicate that a certain device takes priority?

I'm aware of re-setting iCloud data. If I do this, then let my current "clean database" sync, will the other device know to replace themselves entirely with the new clean cloud version? As an example the device will have photos that I deleted on my "clean" device; how does (or does) the sync process know they are to be deleted and not added to the cloud copy?

Adding something (new dives or photos) syncs with other devices just fine. What happens if an old dive is changed on one device (ex: I change the site name and depth)? How does sync decide which is correct?

Thanks for any advice! Linda
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Sync prioritization

Post by nick »

No device takes priority. Changes are all merged individually. If the same thing is changed in two places, the more recent should take effect. To delete a photo you would just delete it on any device. Once the sync of that takes place, any other devices will remove it.

If you reset cloud data then you should disable sync on every device, before re-enabling it. The procedure is outlined in the user guide.
Sepia

Post by Sepia »

Thanks, Nick. So the date of all changes is recorded and sync uses it to decide to overwrite older data?
Sepia

Post by Sepia »

I've figured out why I was confused about the sync.
Just want to thank Nick for this program- I've been looking for something to record all of this information, and this is working really well. I love how easy it is to add critters and photos to each dive. Appreciate that you offer this software!