What dive computer should I purchase?

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
prbrinkman

What dive computer should I purchase?

Post by prbrinkman »

Thanks for reading:

I am somewhat new to diving and wanted to see if you experts could provide me some insight as to what are some of the best wrist dive computers that I could purchase.

I am looking to have it sync with a mac program like this (MacDive) as well as work on multiple devices (iPhone, iPad) if possible.

I appreciate any of your comments and/or suggestions.

Thanks,
Paul
Jean-Francois
Dive Computer: Perdix

Re: What dive computer should I purchase?

Post by Jean-Francois »

It's hard to answer your question right away, we need a bit more info.

What's your current level ? how often do you dive ? what kind of dive are you doing ? what do you plan to do later (nitrox, trmix) ? Where do you dive (sea, lake, cave etc) ?

There is a plethora of dive computer out there so answering those questions will help you to narrow down your search.
vonore

Post by vonore »

I am not the originator of this thread but I have the same question. I just got certified and my friends and I plan to go on extended dive trips at least once a year. We are going to Belize in November for three days of diving. I anticipate many dives in Panama City and then several local dives at the quarries here in TN. I plan to get Nitrox certified and possibly go on to be dry-suit certified. I seriously doubt I will go to technical diving, nor will my friends.

I have looked at the Mares Puck, Aeris Elite T3, XP 10, Cressi Leonardo, and many others I can't recall right now. Honestly, I am overwhelmed. I read reviews and study the products but it seems there are always issues that concern me.

How large does it need to be for visibility? Do I need air integration? Are the calculations too conservative?

I really want the simplest dive computer to keep me safe without over spending.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.
Marcus Wendel
Dive Computer: Suunto D4i

Post by Marcus Wendel »

I use a Suunto Zoop dive computer, I find it easy to use and suitable to the type of diving I do and it syncs nicely with MacDive too.

/Marcus
YFinder
Dive Computer: Atomic Cobalt

Post by YFinder »

I use the Atomic Aquatics Cobalt. Like the Suunto Zoop, it syncs very nicely with Mac-Dive however it is about 3-4 times more expensive but you only have one piece of hardware instead of 3 separate units for Gas Pressure, Computer, Compass, etc. If you are just going to dive a few times a year then you probably won't find much ROI in the cobalt.

I mostly spearfish and the Cobalt makes it very easy to see your gauges at 110+ ft as well as switch gas to speed up your deco. The controls are intuitive and very easy to use but again, there is a price for ease of use.

At the end of the day it comes down to personal comfort. Whatever makes you the most comfortable during the dives that you are doing is what is best for you. All the computers out there are the same as far as the data they monitor. The main difference is usability.

Think of your regulator; all regulators let you breathe but some just let you breathe easier at depth. I probably don't need the Cobalt for spear fishing, but with it i can spend more time fishing and less time looking at my gauges
tdtaylor
Dive Computer: Cobra+D4i

Post by tdtaylor »

I use the Suunto D4i, with the air integration. After 50 dives, no problem with the integration, but I do keep an older Cobra tucked away in my BC as a backup. I find the D4i very easy to read, much easier than the Suunto Cobra. I also put it on my right wrist, so that when I use my drysuit I can vent both with my left arm and read from my right. When I use my camera rig, I just place the face on the interior of my wrist. Handles most Nitox and Air dives, in addition to Freedives. One thing to note- it records air usage, temps, on the interval set, such as every 20 second, whereas the Cobra only gives starting and ending information. ANd when you attach the sync able, it automatically goes to transfer mode- much easier and solid than the cobra with MacDive.

I use a wrist compass (old fashion), but from others I understand the integrated compass or the D6i works well. I often have a computer and other things going on, so I personally don't want to go pushing more buttons to pull up a compass- YMMV.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

tdtaylor wrote: I use a wrist compass (old fashion), but from others I understand the integrated compass or the D6i works well. I often have a computer and other things going on, so I personally don't want to go pushing more buttons to pull up a compass- YMMV.
I do too, I'm not a fan of the digital compass.
YFinder
Dive Computer: Atomic Cobalt

Post by YFinder »

I completely agree. The biggest if only drawback on the Cobalt. but, that's why i have a spare analog with me. We DO indeed learn from our mistakes. We are a wonderous species!
AH_Matt
Dive Computer: Suuntu Zoop

Post by AH_Matt »

I have the Suntoo ZOOP (along with the world's most expensive USB data cable) and it is a good computer. No issues whatsoever during my 34 dives (salt and fresh, warm and just-above-freezing). My minor issues involve post-dive manipulation; I guess I'd prefer another button or two. I have seen more than one other diver with the same problem, but again, this is minor.

I recently bought a used Mares Guardian computer as a back-up (no sense calling off a dive because of a bad battery or a dropped weight belt), and in case I want to dive Nitrox. Like TDTaylor, I also keep it on the inside of the right wrist. One really nice thing is that it uses AAA batteries that can be changed out with a screwdriver.

\\edit I also have an oil-filled analog depth gauge on the other wrist.

Cheers. Stay wet.
Charliechalk

Post by Charliechalk »

Can you sync the Suunto Zoop with Dive Log on the iPad? Once on the iPad I'll then transfer the data over to MacDive when I get home.