syncing with iOS Dive Log

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
Hawthorn

syncing with iOS Dive Log

Post by Hawthorn »

I've just started using both Mac-Dive and Dive Log, so there may be a way to change the mappings of fields, but so far, the most annoying mapping is that my "water temp" on Dive Log on my iPhone and iPad becomes the "Low Temp" in Mac Dive, as opposed to both the Low AND High...

There are a few others where Dive Log wants something to be a "yes or no" and Mac Dive wants a specific number. I feel like that's a harder tackle, but the High versus Low thing seems like a simpler fix.

Anyone else have a better iphone app than Dive Log? I love the data entry and interface...it's just not as exact as Mac Dive. Perhaps when I start syncing with my dive computer, I won't be so dependent on my phone!
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: syncing with iOS Dive Log

Post by nick »

Ah. Ok - from a quick look, when MacDive finds a *new* dive, it sets the high and low temperature. When it is just doing a sync (so you've made a change on Dive Log) it will only use the low. This is tricky because you're trying to compare two things to one.

The way data is stored in both is very different. Some of these things just don't translate very well between the two. We're both trying to make the process better, and I understand that Dive Log has some changes coming which will make its data more in line with how MacDive stores stuff, in some places.

If you haven't read it, there are some notes here on what will and won't sync, etc. Particularly useful for things like Visibility where Dive Log stores a number that has a certain meaning, while MacDive can store any old string you want to type in. In those cases, as long as you use a "special" string things will sync over ok.

http://www.mac-dive.com/help/index.php? ... e_Log_Sync

(also weight will sync in the next version).

Does any of this help?
Hawthorn

Post by Hawthorn »

The Mac Dive wiki is very helpful.

On the specific instance of water temp...
- A dive being added to Mac Dive via Dive Log should input the water temp into both High and Low.
- A dive being added to Dive Log via Mac Dive should input the water temp from the Low field.
- A dive added to Mac Dive from Dive Log and then edited (either Low or High values) should retain both High and Low values on next sync and should push the change from the Low field back to Dive Log.

That's just how I feel it should operate. However, that's just my brain and while it's fairly easy to lay out logically...I have no idea what the programming to do such would require...and perhaps I'm in the minority with my opinion.

Anyways, thanks for the info! I'll keep playing around...
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Hawthorn wrote:On the specific instance of water temp...
- A dive being added to Mac Dive via Dive Log should input the water temp into both High and Low.
- A dive being added to Dive Log via Mac Dive should input the water temp from the Low field.
- A dive added to Mac Dive from Dive Log and then edited (either Low or High values) should retain both High and Low values on next sync and should push the change from the Low field back to Dive Log.
This all happens, except for the last part.

What happens when you sync between MacDive and Dive Log, and you have different high and low temperatures?

MacDive does retain it's high and low, and it will only sync the low temperature. It won't check the high. If you get a different high and low, then what do you set in MacDive? This is just a problem with the difference in data between the two apps. There are two different fields you are trying to sync to one, both of which could be different.

If you are downloading from a computer, then MacDive will have the *correct* information for high and low, and will copy low over to Dive Log. There's no way to copy both and sync both. It does what it can..

The best thing to do is email MoreMobileSoftware and tell them to add another temperature.. ;)