New dives: Assign new dive site to a dive: Difficult?

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
pmareschal
Dive Computer: Suunto Vytec

New dives: Assign new dive site to a dive: Difficult?

Post by pmareschal »

Dear divers,

Back from holiday, I downloaded 10 new dives from my dive computer.
I'd like to set the dive site. I found it difficult and user unfriendly.
I've been to the place, so Country, Location are already there. I just need to add 8 new dive sites.
I want to do it fast. Before (1.X), I would select all dives, in the "Information Panel", would type the Country, Location and it would change for all dives. Next, I would simply double-click in the dive sheet, and enter dive sites.
Now, the only way I found was: After importing the dives, I went to the Site page, created my 8 new sites, (had to enter Country, Location each time, in spite of just new dive site...), went back to each individual dive and changed location by selecting from a looooong (and wiiide) list of dive sites (I have a lot more than 100 individual dive sites).

Is there another way to do this more quickly? Am I missing something?

Isn't there a usability problem here? I understand we want to prevent multiple instances of the same site with different (country,location,site)-tuples, but it made the application difficult to use. Trade-off needed here I think.

Suggestion: Change the unique long pull-down list of country, location, site, into 3 distinct pull-down lists, with ability to add (type in) a new country, location, site if it is not in the list. For example, as we start typing Mex, if the Country Mexico is in the list, it appears, otherwise, I continue typing and the Country Mexico is added to the list of countries. Same for Location and sites.

(Otherwise, application works fine for 3 models of suunto. Thanks.)

Best regards,

Wet feet.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: New dives: Assign new dive site to a dive: Difficult?

Post by nick »

Yes, it's a PiTA - I'm working on it.
seahermit
Dive Computer: Suunto Stinger

Post by seahermit »

I like that idea - I'm also just updating from last weekend with six new sites - and thought just a "duplicate site" button would make life a lot easier for me - Country & Location would then be copied, and site could do the normal Mac thing of "Copy of ..."

Which would mean for my six new sites, I'd edit the "Unkown Country, Unknown Location, Unknown Site" to (in this example)
"UK, Wales, Dakotian" duplicate it, edit "Dakotian" to "Behar", duplicate again, etc.

Just thinking would be much easier - off to the Red Sea in a couple of months, and twenty different sites will be fun entering :)

But great work on Mac Dive 2 - really think it's great!

Ben
Damir
Dive Computer: Suunto Vytec

Post by Damir »

Hello,

Happy user of MacDive 2 here! ;-)

I was thinking the same thing the other day and came up with solution! :-)

I think that folder type sites menu would be better.

Like:

Egypt : Red Sea - Hurgada : Bluff point
..........................................: Thistlegorm
..........: Red Sea - Sharm el Sheikh : dive site 1
......................................................: dive site 2

Croatia : Hvar : Rt Smociguzica
......................: Jelsa
............: Brac : Bol
..................... : Milna

So to add a dive in Egypt - Hurgada we could just enter sites tab and then double click on Egypt then on Hurgada and then click on add site and that would automatically add new site with "Country:Egypt, Location:Hurgada site:new site". Also when adding site to a dive the menu could be submenu based (menu Countries - submenus Locations - submenus Sites ).

I have few other suggestions for MacDive. Stay tuned! :-)