Available Bottom Air Calculator feature

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
miraclemax
Dive Computer: xDeep Black EANx

Available Bottom Air Calculator feature

Post by miraclemax »

Hi Nick,

Just thought I'd suggest this feature:

Would be nice to have a calculator that would take a given SAC rate (maybe have it take your average SAC rate in the field by default and let the user be able to modify it) and then select a tank from the gear page, then input a depth, start pressure and end pressure so that MacDive would calculate the available air time at that depth.

That way it would be easier to plan dives and say that for example, if I'm using a 80 cu. ft. tank filled to 3000 PSI to go down to 90 feet, I'll know that I have 26 minutes of air available at that depth if my SAC rate is 0.55 and I want to start my ascent at 1000 PSI. The calculator would also alow me to figure out that if I use more air because the dive gets more challenging, lets say my SAC rate goes up to 0.80, I would have about 4 minutes less time for the same dive.

I currently use an Excel file to do this. Here it is if you want to take the formulas (which I'm sure you are very familiar with already).
bottom_time_calculator.xlsx.zip
My home-made bottom time calculator.
(7.2 KiB) Downloaded 493 times
I have no clue of the formula for metric though... but if you'd need help I'd be glad to do some searching and figure it out for you.

...of course, this calculator does NOT take into account deco times so its only an indication of available air based on your consumption. You MUST take other factors into consideration. This is only meant as a planning tool and the situation may change during the dive.
Best dive ever :
My Dos Ojos Cenote Dive : http://vimeo.com/22533046
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Available Bottom Air Calculator feature

Post by nick »

I like the idea, but I would rather avoid any kind of dive planning - I'm sure it's obvious why.
miraclemax
Dive Computer: xDeep Black EANx

Re: Available Bottom Air Calculator feature

Post by miraclemax »

Totally understandable. ;)

I might just look at creating an iPhone app for that... ;)
Best dive ever :
My Dos Ojos Cenote Dive : http://vimeo.com/22533046