Total dive time acuracy (for short freedives)

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
glennv
Dive Computer: Liquiv X1, Suunto D4

Total dive time acuracy (for short freedives)

Post by glennv »

Hi Nick,

About a year ago we communicated about the possibilities to display the total divetime more accurate , which would make the software a lot more usefull for the fast growing group of freedivers using your great software. (currently still rounded up to the minute instead of displaying seconds).
You said it would probably be in the next version. Unfortunately it looks like this has not made it to 2.0

It feel like It seems possible somehow without a large effort , since it looks like (if I am importing an UDCF dive which has no total divetime field) this time is now caclulated using the individual samples and not only copied from a divecomputer.

Any hope for us it will be in a future fix ?
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Total dive time acuracy (for short freedives)

Post by nick »

Yes, it's still on my todo list, I just didn't quite get to it.
glennv

Post by glennv »

Ok thanks. Will hold my breath a little longer then :lol:

Great work btw on the program. It's <almost> perfect !!
glennv

Post by glennv »

While playing with my script to convert my X1 logs to UDCF , I found an workable fix for 2 issues.
1. my 4 samples per second freediving logs (described in other post)
2. total divetime accuracy problem for short freedives .

If I set the <delta> to 15 seconds per sample and then treat/read minutes as if they where seconds, I have the display now correct in the right proportions. So 4 samples , which is normaly 1 second is now 1 minute. And a total divetime of e.g. 1'45'' (or 105 seconds) is now 105 minutes on the graph, while the graph is proportionately scaled so looks correct.

Crazy , but sometimes you have to find weird solutions to bypass problems.

So now I reeeeeeeaaaaaaaly love MacDive :P :P :P :P :P :P
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Ah, that's very creative :)
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Next time I update the database structure I'll migrate all of this data to be stored in seconds, which means I can then import times in seconds. This is a pretty big update though - all of the code/database currently expects minutes.
glennv

Post by glennv »

Wow thanks man. Did not expect this anymore, but wil make a growing group of active freedivers very happy !
Wil spread the word.....
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Yeah, I'm sorry for the delay - I went to do this for you yesterday and realised it's not a quick patch.

Basically to upgrade the database requires a mapping from the old schema to the new. This can get messy to maintain, and though I think I have a good solution to avoid having to provide maps from each old version to each current version (which quickly gets out of control, like 1.x), it's still best avoided where possible.

So, to cut a long story short, once I get this thing stabilised and tidy the user experience up a little based on feedback, the first big update which has database modifications will include this for you (and everyone else of course, not *just* you :) ).
ericvrp
Dive Computer: Suunto D4

Post by ericvrp »

Hi Nick (& Glenn),

Just wanted to say that I'm happy with the program. Nick, thanks for building it!

And (as a freediver) I too am mostly/only missing the divetime accuracy. It looks like an easy fix because the information is already correctly visible in the dive graph when I move the cursor/mouse to the far right of it.

cheers,
Eric, Utrecht, Netherlands

P.S. how often get macdive updates released? Do you release often or every couple of month or only when there is something major?
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

ericvrp wrote: And (as a freediver) I too am mostly/only missing the divetime accuracy. It looks like an easy fix because the information is already correctly visible in the dive graph when I move the cursor/mouse to the far right of it.
Unfortunately it's not, for the reasons outlined above :) Every piece of code that either reads or sets this time expects it in minutes, along with the database modifications.
P.S. how often get macdive updates released? Do you release often or every couple of month or only when there is something major?
MacDive 1.0.0: 17/03/08
MacDive 1.1.0: 30/03/08
MacDive 1.2.0: 03/04/08
MacDive 1.2.1: 12/04/08
MacDive 1.3.0: 20/04/08
MacDive 1.3.2: 20/04/08
MacDive 1.3.3: 10/05/08
MacDive 1.3.4: 21/05/08
MacDive 1.3.5: 31/05/08
MacDive 1.4.0: 15/06/08
MacDive 1.4.1: 24/08/08
MacDive 1.4.2: 02/11/08
MacDive 1.5.0: 22/11/08
MacDive 1.5.1: 18/04/09
MacDive 1.5.2: 14/07/09
MacDive 1.5.3: 06/01/10
MacDive 2.0.0: 10/06/10
MacDive 2.0.1: 26/06/10

You'll see the first few updates were all pretty fast after it was first released, to deal with bugs etc. From there, I tend to start working on major features and they're released when they're ready.

The plan for 2.x is to deal with the initial bugs and smooth everything out, and then start on some more involved/larger stuff and do a big update.