Backup vs Sync

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
DDKL
Dive Computer: Perdix AI and Vyper

Backup vs Sync

Post by DDKL »

Would it be possible to add a separate local backup option (e.g. once per day/week) to the Mac OS version.

I use iCloud Sync right now (and have used dropbox) for normal sync but it would be useful to have a copy of the log that is updated one way every week (or specified number of days) so that any sync issues would not be catastrophic.

I'd be happy with local backup as then I could just choose to backup into whatever folder is being duplicated/synced with an online backup service.

Thanks,

D.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Backup vs Sync

Post by nick »

You can use Time Machine, or some other third-party service, and just back up the MacDive data folder. I'm not sure what building it in would achieve - there are better backup solutions than me hacking something together for one specific app.

You could probably even kludge something together with Automator and Dropbox or iCloud Drive if you wanted to. At the end of the day it's just copying some files around..
DDKL
Dive Computer: Perdix AI and Vyper

Post by DDKL »

I just like to have additional built in backup options when available... But I am already doing as you recommend.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Backup is good!

But yeah I’d defer to a robust backup solution. There are plenty of options.