Photos stored inside the app not a link

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
azchipka
Dive Computer: Geo V2 / Shearwater

Photos stored inside the app not a link

Post by azchipka »

Would be great to have the photos stored in the application itself instead of them just being linked to an outside file. When the outside file gets moved currently it no longer shows up in MacLog.

Would like to have it make a copy of the photo instead.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Photos stored inside the app not a link

Post by nick »

This is done in v2, though the database size can get pretty large and things will slow down.

I'm still thinking about whether I try and keep the photos inside the application support directory rather than inside the database itself.
kva
Dive Computer: Uwatec Aladin TEC 2G

Post by kva »

I would prefer the oppsosite, to keep photos external to the dive log.
My rationale for that is first of all to keep the dive log snappy and also when i edit a photo in iPhoto the edits are reflected in macdive. I want my photos in one place for me it's IPhoto.

It would be nice if macdive could create events and geotag the images in iPhoto based on the divesite.

Maybe it could be a user option to copy or link the image to the macdive db like it's in iTunes.
I'm probably creating work for you here ;)
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

kva wrote:I would prefer the oppsosite, to keep photos external to the dive log.
My rationale for that is first of all to keep the dive log snappy and also when i edit a photo in iPhoto the edits are reflected in macdive. I want my photos in one place for me it's IPhoto.
This is what happens now, in 1.5.3. And in 2.0.0, storing them inside the app is a preference, which is off by default. So for you it will be business as usual :)
It would be nice if macdive could create events and geotag the images in iPhoto based on the divesite.
You mean that macdive would edit the EXIF and add GPS information to the image ? That's definitely possible, and some new stuff in 2.0 would help with that.
kva
Dive Computer: Uwatec Aladin TEC 2G

Post by kva »

nick wrote:This is what happens now, in 1.5.3. And in 2.0.0, storing them inside the app is a preference, which is off by default. So for you it will be business as usual :)
Thats great, I was hoping for a user option. :D
nick wrote:You mean that macdive would edit the EXIF and add GPS information to the image ? That's definitely possible, and some new stuff in 2.0 would help with that.
That's exactly what I mean. :) There are still few cameras that geotag the images. If the tag is missing it would be cool to add the coordinates of the dive site. There is a project here (http://code.google.com/p/depthtag/) that adds depth-info to the meta info in images. Some good info on Exif and IPTC-tags can be found here. http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Yeah a few people have requested it, unfortunately the database size gets really large which is going to be a real pain for debugging if I need people to send it over, but it definitely makes it easier in terms of backing up just one file.

Cheers for the link - I've got code I wrote a while back lying around for reading/writing EXIF so shouldn't be a big drama. I just can't promise I'll get around to it for 2.0.